Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for 65 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for 65 chevelle

Hope i'm asking in the correct forum, new here. Have just installed 5.3 truck engine into 65 chevelle chassis, passenger side manifold fits great, drivers side not so good, what will fit from factory. Have heard a Camaro will do, but not sure. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where on the drivers side is it hitting? I would be interested in your build. Hope you will be posting pictures as I will be doing a 1965 Skylark shortly. I like to see what other people have done or doing.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Using the original truck manifolds, the drivers side has a fixed flange that does not rotate. It gets into the top of the frame directly above where the upper a arm pivot is if that makes any sense. I thought i could notch the frame, but tried a exhaust pipe with oxygen sensor attached and no go, too much frame would have to be cut and reinforced. Not comfortable with that solution. As i said, passenger side fits great. Drivers side has plenty of room for a tucked in manifold, just got to find one. Made my own engine mounting plates, and used chevy small block interlocking motor mounts for safety. Used a f body oil pan for clearance above cross member. Works great, clears tie rods as well as crossmember. Used a Dorman #300-201 ps pulley for clearance of steering box. Same id but smaller around. Just got to solve exhaust manifold problem. Fix one problem, another crops up, but it is what it is. Will try to post pix as i get further along.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To bad you cannot "bevel" the flange where the manifold bolts up to the head. It probably would not take much. Hopefully someone will chime in that has gone this route. Maybe a Camaro manifold?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Exhaust

I used 2010 Camaro manifolds on my 1965 Olds VistaCruiser. It took a little grinding at the exhaust flange but they worked in my application.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Default exhaust

Originally Posted by The Deejay
Using the original truck manifolds, the drivers side has a fixed flange that does not rotate. It gets into the top of the frame directly above where the upper a arm pivot is if that makes any sense. I thought i could notch the frame, but tried a exhaust pipe with oxygen sensor attached and no go, too much frame would have to be cut and reinforced. Not comfortable with that solution. As i said, passenger side fits great. Drivers side has plenty of room for a tucked in manifold, just got to find one. Made my own engine mounting plates, and used chevy small block interlocking motor mounts for safety. Used a f body oil pan for clearance above cross member. Works great, clears tie rods as well as crossmember. Used a Dorman #300-201 ps pulley for clearance of steering box. Same id but smaller around. Just got to solve exhaust manifold problem. Fix one problem, another crops up, but it is what it is. Will try to post pix as i get further along.
Look on 67-72 chevytrucks in the lsx section, on manifolds there is some good info.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 PM

Found a drivers side exhaust manifold from a 99 camaro, fits good.

Quick Reply: Exhaust for 65 chevelle