Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool lookin swap man! And thanks for the lamp idea, lol

keep it up!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Keep up the work.
Many more hours left but you are on the right path.

Stole the lamp idea whoever come up with it first.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, I saw a picture of the “cam lamp” somewhere on here, and just decided to figure out how to replicate it on my own. Came out well. Credit goes to the guy who came up with the original idea; it makes for a great conversation piece at parties.

The conversation goes something like this: “Is that a piece out of a ******* engine, how did you do that OMG OMG OMG!”

Most people don’t realize how simple is really is. Mine is probably overbuilt.

Progress on the car will be slow the next few months, I am working on getting my LEED Green Assoc. and LEED AP for work, so most of my time is taken up studying. I also had a minor setback this weekend during the fiancee’s birthday party where a few friends and I were throwing trash items out of the 2nd story of our apartment, trying to get them into the garbage can in the driveway. Tossed a tomato sauce jar, missed, hit the rear window of my Outback wagon (DD)….yeah….toast. So, spent a little while taping that up last night until Safelite can get out here to fix it.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

most cams arent hollow, im sure thats why people are surprised. (if they know about cams)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, I passed my LEED Green Associate Exam last night, was pretty stoked about that after having done nothing but study in my free time the last few weeks.

Dropped off the heads at Klispie’s, nice guys. They cleaned up the heads already and will be replacing the valve stem seals. Also will have them CC’d to see how far down we need to go to get to about 66cc chambers.

Definitely getting some stuff done in the garage tonight, I plan on removing the 3.15 open diff (for sale, not that anyone here will ever buy it) and probably getting the LQ4 block ready for paint. I used a whole can of aircraft stripper on it and it did a nice job, but not all of the paint was removed. If I have time I’ll mask it up and maybe paint it. Gunmetal grey engine enamel
Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM

yea, that 3.15 open diff really kills the cars potential. Get an m5 diff in that bad boy!!!
Still has awesome pick up for what it is though
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought the car stock with the 2.81. threw in the 3.15 after about 6 months, and it made it a bit more fun. open diff SUCKS though! M5 LSD 3.15 is sitting on the bench, it needs a rebuild.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to be stoke for you bro, but I am not quite sure what this is " LEED Green Associate Exam."
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Slow bits of progress here and there. Had a cousin in from out of town so was busy with him all weekend.

Picked up the heads from Klispies and they look great. Ended up removing .026” to get chambers down to 66cc. Picked up new valve stem seals and threw those in. I installed the valve springs, keepers, and retainers on Saturday, so those are all set.

Painted the block gunmetal gray, will have to snap a few pics of that if I remember.

Had a line on a really nice built T56 and clutch/fw setup on St Catherines, but it fell through. I still need to sell the BMW trans and 3.15 open diff.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Things are looking up!

found a T56 from a 2002 Camaro SS in Pittsburgh just 3 hours from me. It's said to be in good working condition and includes trans, bellhousing, crossmember (though i wont use that) and hydraulic slave.

best part is it's under $1000! so, my fiancee and i will be hopping in the station wagon and going on a day trip to grab it.

i will end up rebuilding the trans to be on the safe side, but this is great news because this means i can finally start mocking up the mounts and pan.

Also, heads are done. Klispie’s shaved them down .026” (cc’d to put me at 66cc). They did a really nice job cleaning them up and repairing one of the exhaust bolt holes. I installed the LS6 yellow springs and retainers with my homemade tool (let me know if you’d like to borrow it) and they look good.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome thread!

I have a 540i/6 that I really like, but I have the same basic issues as you, extremely limited ability to upgrade the engine no matter how diligent, and/or "spendy" you are willing to be. Oh yeah, and that friggen open diff. I have an M5 diff waiting to go in shortly here, so that should make the car a LOT more fun right there.

Anyway, I'm in Michigan, so we don't have to deal with the OBD checking, and that has opened up a lot of opportunities for me to mess with Megasquirt for running my engines. My current plan is to build a new MS3+MS3X this spring and replace the DME with it. I know that will be a chore, but I like the idea of being able to pop out the DME and pop in the MS3. I have an extra DME and 540i harness from the same year as my car ('97), so hopefully I'll be able to work it out that way.

After that, I will do some tuning on the car just to see how it is when this engine is allowed to rev to a reasonable RPM. I'm guessing I'll like it better, but it will still be slow...

Next I was considering fabbing up a rear mount turbo setup in the area where the massive mufflers used to be, but I really think the next logical step is to slap in an LQ4 with a 200-4R trans. I want to go automatic with this car believe it or not, and I'd like to try an old school trans that isn't electronically controlled. The 200-4Rs can be made to handle a lot of torque/power, and they have an awesome .67 overdrive ratio. That should be really nice with the 3.15 ratio in the rear end.

With the LQ4 being so much more compact than the M62 monstrosity, I was thinking I might end up wanting to put the turbo up front and not have to deal with the scavenge pump hassles. Since you've seen both motors in side by side comparison, I'm really interested in your thoughts of how much more space is going to be available for turbo packaging?

Also, I'd really like to use the truck intake and front end accessories, but I'm guessing they won't fit under a stock hood. I realize you don't have them, but do you have any thoughts on the matter after comparing the height and length of the two engines???

Oh, one more question: Were you able to get any decent money out of your M62 to offset the cost of the project? Mine has a good chunk of miles on it, but it runs flawlessly (albeit not with enough vigor obviously! Haha), so maybe I should look to sell it while it is in good condition instead of thrashing it to death like I had sort of planned on.

Here is my swap candidate:

Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Awesome thread!

I have a 540i/6 that I really like, but I have the same basic issues as you, extremely limited ability to upgrade the engine no matter how diligent, and/or "spendy" you are willing to be. Oh yeah, and that friggen open diff. I have an M5 diff waiting to go in shortly here, so that should make the car a LOT more fun right there.

Anyway, I'm in Michigan, so we don't have to deal with the OBD checking, and that has opened up a lot of opportunities for me to mess with Megasquirt for running my engines. My current plan is to build a new MS3+MS3X this spring and replace the DME with it. I know that will be a chore, but I like the idea of being able to pop out the DME and pop in the MS3. I have an extra DME and 540i harness from the same year as my car ('97), so hopefully I'll be able to work it out that way.

After that, I will do some tuning on the car just to see how it is when this engine is allowed to rev to a reasonable RPM. I'm guessing I'll like it better, but it will still be slow...

Next I was considering fabbing up a rear mount turbo setup in the area where the massive mufflers used to be, but I really think the next logical step is to slap in an LQ4 with a 200-4R trans. I want to go automatic with this car believe it or not, and I'd like to try an old school trans that isn't electronically controlled. The 200-4Rs can be made to handle a lot of torque/power, and they have an awesome .67 overdrive ratio. That should be really nice with the 3.15 ratio in the rear end.

With the LQ4 being so much more compact than the M62 monstrosity, I was thinking I might end up wanting to put the turbo up front and not have to deal with the scavenge pump hassles. Since you've seen both motors in side by side comparison, I'm really interested in your thoughts of how much more space is going to be available for turbo packaging?

Also, I'd really like to use the truck intake and front end accessories, but I'm guessing they won't fit under a stock hood. I realize you don't have them, but do you have any thoughts on the matter after comparing the height and length of the two engines???

Oh, one more question: Were you able to get any decent money out of your M62 to offset the cost of the project? Mine has a good chunk of miles on it, but it runs flawlessly (albeit not with enough vigor obviously! Haha), so maybe I should look to sell it while it is in good condition instead of thrashing it to death like I had sort of planned on.
Your candidate looks good! I’m not a fan of the wheels but love the color of the car.

I was able to get $1250 plus shipping for my M62 with all front accessories, fully assembled, etc. I probably could have gotten more if I had held out longer, but it was taking up lots of space and I wanted to fund a T56.

I really would like to rev my engine high, when finances allow perhaps next summer I will pull the stock LS2 cam and springs and put in something aggressive.

As far as turbo packaging, search for a member by the name of 357i on here. He is doing a turbo LS swap into his E39.

I actually do have the truck intake, all the front accessories, all that stuff. I hear they won’t fit, so I already purchased a stock LS1 intake manifold. Some people on LS1Tech have had luck with shaving down the truck intake, and apparently it flows better as well. It’s all for sale if you’re interested. Others who have completed the swap will have more info on which accessories specifically fit and don’t. I know many of them have switched to a full F-body or GTO setup FEAD.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I'll look up 357i!

Regarding my wheels, at times I've wanted a set of M-Pars real bad, but never pulled the trigger... At other times I'd like something more "spokey" like some ASAs or some Bayern Mesh, but I never quite get it figured out. So I just keep enjoying the cheapness of the 17s. Haha...

That's cool that you were able to get some nice money out of your M62. I think you should be able to get a few bucks out of your trans too, they are the same ones that are in the e39 M5s (although there is some dispute about that on the M5Board and whatnot).

Thanks for the offer on the truck accessories and intake, I'll keep it in mind!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

so, here's the trans i'm looking at. before i drive all the way down there i'd like to make sure it's LS1 application.

i don't think the case casting number can tell me the origin (1386-065-902).

i have the seller working on getting me pictures of the sticker and the metal tag under the bolt on the rear extension housing.

in the meantime, can anyone here with a trained eye tell me if this is LS1 application T56, and how can they tell? maybe the bellhousing?

i'm not a GM guy but the trans crossmember looks LS1 application.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spend some time running around town yesterday picking up flange head metric bolts for the T56-motor connection. Fastenal and a local specialty contractors supply store did not stock them, but Sears Hardware did, go figure.

Mated up the motor just for fun. I'm going to mock up the mounts once I settle on an oil pan (still need to think about that one) and while I'm taking care of the harness and wiring, I'll have it sent out to have Jason @ TDP look over it. Super nice guy, by the way.

Laid the heads down on it just for mockup. The next step is to buy all the gaskets for reassembly, the motor is ready to be put back together.

I put it in the bay just for sh*ts and giggles. For some reason at the time (maybe it was the fact that I was tired from work all day, or had a few too many beers) I was convinced that the shifter was supposed to line up exactly with the hole. I didn't have an oil pan mounted at the time, but if I did, it would not have agreed with that idea. I'll get into the garage tonight and play with it some more.

Measuring driveline angles will be crappy, because the nose of the car only is on jackstands. The car is too low when it sits normally, the engine hoist legs hit the lower control arms when plopping the engine in. May just have to take the angle of the car and then subtract it from my measurements.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for progress. Nice build!

I am looking into a 95' 525i to replace my T/A. I love the older E34's and E30's.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Teching In

cool swap. What kind of lobe separation angle are you guys running on your lamps?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure on the LSA but I am running about a 20’ separation between the couch and the fridge. I am in the process of doing the wife mod to knock that down as much as I can.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went down to Home Depot on lunch a few days ago and bought (2) 2x6x8' planks, as well as a 2x2x8' strip. Cut up the planks into 1' lengths and doubled them up for 4" tall, 6" wide, 12" long "support spacers" as I like to call them. I also left a few of them loose for when I'm resting the motor on the crossmember for fitment.

I made a huge for sale thread on here and a few other boards, already sold the F Body oil pan, shipping that out today. Bought an LS1 Camaro water pump and starter from one person, a GTO oil pan from another, and ARP Headbolts/assembly lube from Summit Racing. Also grabbed the 6.0 MLS headgaskets from gmpartsdirect. Once I get the heads back on and torqued I can finally mock up the motor since I'll have the oil pan.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i