Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Park/Neutral safety switch HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 4L60E Park/Neutral safety switch HELP

I think I need to hook up my Park/Neutral safety switch for my 4L60E in my 72 Cutlass but am not sure. There are basically 3 sections of this connector, Reverse, theft deterant, and P/N safety switches. The only pins I really need for sure is for the reverse lights.

From what the 2000 Corvette Schematic for this, the trans mounted neutral safety switch signal gets its power from a fuse to the switch to the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control to a ground source. Since I don't have an electronic lockout shifter, I shouldn't need this. Am I right?

The next is for the theft deterent/coil feed. It goes from a fuse to theft deterant relay, to starter solenoid and the relay control side is powered by the Park/Neutral safety switch. So I should be able to splice that portion of the switch in to my cranking signal to my starter relay so it won't start enless it's in park or neutral? Did anyone even hook this connector up on their swaps?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This may be off track, but you don't need the switch assembly mounted to the trans if you are using the 72 shifter. Just wire through the stock neutral safety switch. If there is not one present use a B&M switch mounted on the shifter. I used the stock one on my GTO shifter and eliminated the OE unit on the 4L60E.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My shifter didn't come stock with the switch on the shifter, it came on the column. I bought a used shifter because my handle had been replaced years ago and the used one came with the switch mounted on the bracket. I could try and swap that over to my stock shifter bracket. The only thing is I would have to make sure park and neutral line up to the old detent because I bought a 4 speed conversion kit and it came with a 4 speed detent. If I use that, Should I just use reverse and not worry about the safety switch?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

U do if you want to let the pcm see what gear the trans is in, for park and in gear idle, etc.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Park/Neutral safety switch HELP