Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan to crossmember clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil pan to crossmember clearance?

I've searched off and on for a couple days and can't find the A to my Q.What should be the minimum oil pan clearance allowed for both poly mounts and original rubber 5.3L truck mounts?Are the truck mounts liquid filled for dampening?I would hate to blow an oil filled mount, causing the cast oil pan hit the cross member and crack.I am thinking I will run the good ole poly leaf spring bushing as an engine mount.I may stick with solid rubber Cougar/T-bird mounts.We shall see.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bout 3/8" on mine, see sig. Using a LH8 waste of money pan.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

Poly mounts and have ⅛"+ or so...but still in install mode
Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
I have bout 3/8" on mine, see sig. Using a LH8 waste of money pan.
LH8 pan,that's on the H3,correct?Why would it be a waste?I'm new to the LS swap scene,so please for give my ignorant questions.I have been searching and reading for the past few weeks.I finally decided to join.

Doug G,thanks.That seems a little tight even for poly mounts.

My ride is a 90 Mercury Cougar.A Ford 5.0 will barely clear the hood and after investigating a lot,a 5.8 Ford will not clear the stock hood.I despise cowl induction hoods.Besides,my car is to heavy for a wimpy stock SBF and cost way to much to build an SBF.I am following this members build because we have the same basic chassis.If you can consider a unibody a chassis.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the LH8 and H3 are the same pan. I consider it a waste because there not a considerable amount of height difference between it and the truck pan, it is not IMO the "swap" pan GM billed it as. I would recommend investing in one of the many "true" swap pans available from many of the sponsors.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
Yeah the LH8 and H3 are the same pan. I consider it a waste because there not a considerable amount of height difference between it and the truck pan, it is not IMO the "swap" pan GM billed it as. I would recommend investing in one of the many "true" swap pans available from many of the sponsors.
Thanks for clearing that up.That's good info.I know the truck pan will hang to low on my car.Since the LH8/H3 pan isn't much shorter,I'll look into a true swap pan.As long as I can get 5 to 6 quarts of oil in there,I think I'll be alright.I'm shooting for a good daily driver with fuel economy in mind and hoping to end up close to 400HP.If I can get better than 16/21 fuel economy with the LS,I'll be happy.I just gotta keep all under the hood.

Quick Reply: Oil pan to crossmember clearance?