Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeselky85
I have an 85 elcamino ss that I just got done doing a 6.0 iron block engine, forged internals and backed by a 4l80e transmission. So far my engine is pretty much stock, but I'm sure the forged internals can explain some of the plans haha. Good luck with hour build, I had one hell of a time fitting mine in with ctsv pulley setup I bought from gm. Had to notch frame and made my own mounts and trans crossmember

Looking good so far, ill keep an eye on your build
Thanks, I plan on using either an Fbody pan or a swap pan from an aftermarket company. I am leaning towards the swap pan just because it'll be new. Hopefully I don't have too much trouble with the accessories, I have all the truck pieces, and I think I'm going to just make up some mounts for them. I have a friend (who gave me the yellow springs) who has a ton of LS2 parts and pieces that he said he'd help me use to make this thing work. He's done some very nice hot rods and rat rods in the past and knows how to get this stuff to work so I'm going to lean heavily on his advice.
Jess

And I just remembered to post this picture of my progress in sanding/polishing

Last edited by 78_elky; 11-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look good !!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78_elky
That sounds great! I am leaning towards the LS3 stuff, I think I'll just buy a set of bare heads from the GM dealer and then assemble them with my yellow springs (if the cam I go with isn't too aggressive).

I'm a little confused on the throttle bodies though, my wiring is DBC and the LS3 parts I see are all DBW. I was thinking the computer doesn't really care if its one manifold or the other so its just a matter of me putting a DBC throttle body on the LS3 manifold. I'd rather run a throttle cable than have to find a pedal and a throttle body. Could I just use the throttle body from my LQ4 on the LS3 intake?
Jessica
I would buy a set of low mileage LS3 heads because they already come assembled with hollow stem valves and the same springs that you have. You can probably get $60 for your springs.

IIRC the lq4 throttle body is 3 bolts v/s four bolts for the LS3 so you'll need an adapter or go aftermarket for a dbc throttle body and just sell yours.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stereojnky
I would buy a set of low mileage LS3 heads because they already come assembled with hollow stem valves and the same springs that you have. You can probably get $60 for your springs.

IIRC the lq4 throttle body is 3 bolts v/s four bolts for the LS3 so you'll need an adapter or go aftermarket for a dbc throttle body and just sell yours.
Thanks for the info, its nice to get a clear answer every once in a while. These engines sure have a steep learning curve compared to the original SBC, it almost makes me want to rethink the project from time to time.
Jess
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 86monte
They look good !!!
Thank you, the one on the left I sanded a little and the right with the filler tube is just cleaned with brake clean and simple green to get the black crud off of it (I rinsed it really well after). I've still got a ways to go on them, you can really tell in person that the casting had some significant cavities on the surface.
Just more time and not a lot of money
Jessica
Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Thanks for the info, its nice to get a clear answer every once in a while. These engines sure have a steep learning curve compared to the original SBC, it almost makes me want to rethink the project from time to time.
Jess
The hardest part to me is deciding on a direction, budget, and a time frame for the project. Once you do that, it narrows down your choices.

My son is going through the same thing you are, except he doesn't have an engine or tranny yet. One week he wants an ly6 like mine, next week he finds an ls1 for sale, then a 5.3 blah blah blah. Just make up your mind man! lol

As for your wiring problem, I've got an almost complete harness from a 2007 4.8l silverado I bought off of ebay. From looking at Lt1swap.com, it looks like the idle controller, evap purge, alt, and throttle pos part of the harness has been cut. I can give you a good deal on the harness with everything else intact including the pcm connectors. I have pics and more info in this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...m-harness.html
It won't hurt my feelings either way, just thought you might be able to use it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Well I got the one valve cover without a fill tube pretty much done. I put about 15 hours into it, and I am sure I could have doubled that. considering they are going to be covered by the coil packs I think it'll be OK.

I also found a 4L80e out of a 2000 2WD truck, EDIT: I picked the trans up last night its in pretty good shape so I'm excited! I'll post a pic later.
Jess

Last edited by 78_elky; 11-21-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

So I threw that valve cover on the motor because I didn't have a better place to keep it; and I love how much better it looks. I just wish the rest of the motor looked as good.

I also got a few pics of the trans. It isn't too nice looking right now but give me some time it should be really nice! Its a 4L80E from a '98 according to the tag on the side. The guy selling it said it was pulled from a 2000 truck

The funniest thing happened when I went to buy it the guy moved some crap and pulled out a torque converter for it and said it came with it! Now I have two of those damn things from stock trucks Anyone want one for cheap?
Jessica
Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Got a bit more done this weekend with it being the holidays and I wasn't at work Thursday or Friday!
Got the other valve cover polished up and ready to go back to the warehouse with the motor.

I'm not too fond of the filler neck but I'm leaving it for now and I'll decide how I want to proceed when I see how much of a pain it is to fill the oil.
Also this week I was able to get to the junk yard and I got a hydroboost unit

I cleaned it up but I don't have a picture of that yet. I've also got a new master for the El Camino and the one in the picture is from the hydroboost...this should be pretty easy to get to work but who knows. I also plan to add a cooler to the steering system and swap in a new intermediate shaft without a rag joint and a high ratio box while I have it all apart

My car needs the master replaced and the booster might be bad so I figured I'd like something that doesn't require vacuum.

Thats all I got for the moment but I'll keep updating as I get to the other stuff on my list

Jessica
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

All I have to get now are some hoses/fittings and a cooler. (and spray some paint)
The steering box is less than 2.5 turns lock to lock and the intermediate shaft is from a Jeep and I won't have a rag joint anymore.

At some point I plan to upgrade to 12" brakes using some LS1 Camaro parts but I want to have the rest of the brake system up to snuff first

Jess
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well I kind of went crazy and pulled the heads!

Not the best looking I've ever seen but by far not the worst. There really isn't any carbon ring at the top the first bank is a lot worse looking though (even the valve train looked to have more oil and gunk build up).

Bank #1

Cylinder #3

Cylinder #1

Bank #2

Cylinder #6

Cylinder #2

I think I might just try and clean them up by hand and they should be pretty good! The motor had 170K miles on it but the cylinder walls look great

I'm contemplating just leaving the bottom end alone. I might just swap the cam and be done with it (of course I'm changing oil pans, timing chain, and oil pump) This was a very nice surprise, I can only hope when I pull the pan it looks this good on the bottom.
Jessica
Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well I've been pretty busy the last few days. I tried to get the front pulley bolt off the motor but can't and I also noticed the flywheel is a little bent! So I am going to take the motor to a machinist to have him clean up the block and replace the bearings and I'll talk to him about maybe swapping in some higher compression pistons and boring the motor.
I looked more at the transmission I bought and it seems like a nice little unit with really clean fluid in it
I've also got my hydroboost setup painted and I think I'm ready to start the swap once I get some hoses made.
So without further delays here are the pics
The dirty valley cover

Thought I might leave it aluminum or paint it orange or something

I ended up going with black so it is easy to clean and will kind of hide under the intake (I painted it outside not on my car )

The hydroboost and master, I think pretty much all brake systems look like model space ships from a sci-fi show

Some rare iron LS cylinder heads if anyone wants some

The wiring mess that I need to make work

The wiring mess I think I'm going to abandon and redo completely (all of it may end up in this box, who knows)

This is what is in the way of me fixing my brakes. My sister's little Monte Carlo needed rear wheel cylinders and brakes all the way around...should have it completed tonight

And my poor car waiting outside in the rain

Jessica
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Pulling this thread back from the dead! I've been really busy with not car work lately. I've got some more pics to add to the thread and I've made some progress though!

Got my cars moved into my new place, complete with pink checkers. Yes, I like pink even if I love cars that are green

Bunch of junk in totes went up into the loft, now I just need a ladder so I can get it down again sometime.

Two stock torque converters, is there a market for these? I'd like to sell them

Then I made my old bench seat into a couch!

Picked up some 853 heads, and might use them. They were kind of a steel so I figure if I don't use them I may be able to sell them for a little more.

Got the adapter plates for the engine.

Then I started the worst project imaginable. Wiring.

The engine harness is a cut up mess but I am super cheap so this is what ended up happening.

As you can see those big bundles should be attached...

It was a long process.

My trusty side kick, the Maine-Coon.

Got the relays and fuse box mounted and wired.

And then I finished the wiring and all that mess, I still need to figure out the O2 sensors, the Trans wiring, and the MAF/IAT wires I believe. But its a huge step in the right direction!

I just hope it works in the end!

I've got some more parts on the way so stay tuned, and I'm sure I'll have some crazy wiring related questions soon!
Jess
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

I got the oil pan in the mail the other day. I have to say all the costs on this project are a little insane. The last time I got an oil pan it was all fancy chrome and came with an entire dress-up kit and was half the price...oh well this one is still cool I guess

Jess
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Got the wiring almost all done. I added the plug for the 4L80e and I think I added the right connectors for the VSS. I still have the IAT and MAF to figure out once I decide/get an MAF and IAT I will add the correct plug. T

I sold my 853 heads and made a few bucks

So I decided to bite the bullet and buy LS3 parts for the top end

I just had to see what it'd look like! Still need a few more things before I start tearing the old 305 out. I also need to figure out a few things before I'm confident in my wiring and in all the plumbing.

So the list is getting shorter, but there are some big items still left to find:
headers
LS3 heads
trans cross member
9" housing
brakes ( if I get big ones I'll need bigger wheels too )

But its all progress at this point
Jessica
Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, seems you are on a roll here.

As for the brakes, give Tobin @ Kore3 a call. Pretty sure he can steer you in the right direction for brakes.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
Nice, seems you are on a roll here.

As for the brakes, give Tobin @ Kore3 a call. Pretty sure he can steer you in the right direction for brakes.
Thanks! I've not seen much in the way for G-bodys that isn't geared towards drag racing. So I'll take a look at that.

Originally my plan was to mill down the rotors I have on the front and use them as a hub for some 12" brakes and calipers off a Camaro (98-02) and use the same kind of brakes on the rear once I get my hands on a 9"...if I'm anything its cheap My biggest problem is that wheels and tires are some kind of crazy expensive and there really isn't much of a market for used ones that fit old muscle cars in this area. Well there are used ones but they are all 14" or 15" which doesn't help me at all.
Jessica
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be doing the ls brake swap now that I got some used 18's last year for $700 including g-force ta's. The blazer front brake swap is next down on the list & can fit in 15's. There is a thread on elcaminocental.com about them & maybe some other info you could use here & there.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
I'll be doing the ls brake swap now that I got some used 18's last year for $700 including g-force ta's. The blazer front brake swap is next down on the list & can fit in 15's. There is a thread on elcaminocental.com about them & maybe some other info you could use here & there.
WeI am pretty set on the LS1 brakes because I already have 2" drop spindle and don't want to lose those.
Jessica
Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know if the neutral safety switch that is located on the 4L80 is needed for the trans to work with the ECM? I've got the wires still in the loom but they don't have a connector and I don't have a working neutral safety switch on the trans (looks like it was smashed). I've tried to do search and even email some engine wiring gurus but I haven't gotten a good solid answer.
Jessica

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build