Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse/relay kit

Where did you get that relay/fuse set up?
Originally Posted by 78_elky
Pulling this thread back from the dead! I've been really busy with not car work lately. I've got some more pics to add to the thread and I've made some progress though!

Got my cars moved into my new place, complete with pink checkers. Yes, I like pink even if I love cars that are green

Bunch of junk in totes went up into the loft, now I just need a ladder so I can get it down again sometime.

Two stock torque converters, is there a market for these? I'd like to sell them

Then I made my old bench seat into a couch!

Picked up some 853 heads, and might use them. They were kind of a steel so I figure if I don't use them I may be able to sell them for a little more.

Got the adapter plates for the engine.

Then I started the worst project imaginable. Wiring.

The engine harness is a cut up mess but I am super cheap so this is what ended up happening.

As you can see those big bundles should be attached...

It was a long process.

My trusty side kick, the Maine-Coon.

Got the relays and fuse box mounted and wired.

And then I finished the wiring and all that mess, I still need to figure out the O2 sensors, the Trans wiring, and the MAF/IAT wires I believe. But its a huge step in the right direction!

I just hope it works in the end!

I've got some more parts on the way so stay tuned, and I'm sure I'll have some crazy wiring related questions soon!
Jess
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD78BU
I got the parts from 3 different places all mail order and then I went ahead and wired it all up myself. The directions as well as the part numbers and suppliers is available on the LT1swap. com web site. That is where I have been getting 90-100% of my wiring info from

Jessica
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Launching!

cool build! like the the Elkys.. I am torn in replacing the freshly installed ls1 and building a 02 6.0 to 408 in my 85 GP.... or getting it painted..lol! the wiring portion took weeks for me to do and was the biggest nightmare for me!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
cool build! like the the Elkys.. I am torn in replacing the freshly installed ls1 and building a 02 6.0 to 408 in my 85 GP.... or getting it painted..lol! the wiring portion took weeks for me to do and was the biggest nightmare for me!!
I was going to have mine painted a couple years ago because I had a black hood and tail gate and the clear was starting to go on the roof. The price was so crazy I ended up doing the semi gloss black myself (with rattle cans) Its pretty funny after it was all done I took it to a car show and I got more attention than it even did when it was shiny sea foam green Plus most people don't believe it was done with rattle cans!

I'd much rather drive a car that was fast and reliable than pretty. Unfortunately it sounds like your GP isn't such an easy decision.
Jessica
Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

I've gotten a little further along with things but the money has dried up! So nothing major to report at this point.

Hopefully I can sell a couple cars and get some more funds for the swap.

Does anyone know what sensors and injectors/rails/plugs you can use from the LQ4 intake on an LS3 intake? Also what should I be doing about injectors and fuel rails? I have a basic idea but where are you guys buying them? I'm having a bit of sticker shock when I multiply the price by 8
Jess
Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

I got around to fixing the crack in the rear of the intake this weekend. It looked like when someone was lifting an engine or while storing this intake they smashed it or dropped it on the back. The large nipple on the back that goes to the brakes was completely gone as was the smaller nipple. Both left holes and the surrounding area was pushed in and had a large crack that ran around the edges. Luckily it was only an issue on the back and the rest of the intake is perfect. I don't need either of those vacuum ports for my car.
I welded it up and left it a little rough, because I ended up spreading some JB weld on it after it cooled.

I also read that I can use my MAP sensor from the LQ4 intake on the LS3 intake but I'll need to get an O-ring and maybe bend up a little bracket to keep it secured.
Hopefully I'll have some more progress on the swap soon.
In the mean time I've been playing around with putting projectors and HIDs in the sealed beam head lights. I should have the first one finished up in a few days. I'm just about done cutting out the back of the housing and just cut out my lenses.

Jess
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Got the lens to fit over the projector...stay tuned for more. I know its not directly related to the swap but my swap isn't going nearly as fast as I'd like and all this was free so far.

I'll be tackling the wiring on the El Camino in a few days, luckily the car has all new wiring so it'll be up to the task of HIDs no problem
Jessica
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I believe you can ground the P/N wire and it should show in gear or use a shifter that has N/S built in. Also make sure wire the TCC to your brake switch. The 80e is a great transmission, but a bit heavy.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Adam123
I believe you can ground the P/N wire and it should show in gear or use a shifter that has N/S built in. Also make sure wire the TCC to your brake switch. The 80e is a great transmission, but a bit heavy.
Thanks for the info. I've got a B&M floor shifter on the Turbo350 in the car now but I think I'll have to find something that'll work with a 4spd trans, either way I'll try to find something with a safety switch like mine has now. I know its a bit heavy but the engine is a '99 so I'd have to use a 4l80 or an older turbo700/200 if I wanted overdrive or I'd have to use my turbo350 because the crank sticks out farther in the rear and doesn't use a spacer like the later 6.0l
Also I kind of didn't want to mess with a 4l60 because they are a little weak unless you do a lot to them. The 80 should be stronger with less stuff involved, but it does make finding parts a little harder.
Jess
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I've got a B&M floor shifter on the Turbo350 in the car now but I think I'll have to find something that'll work with a 4spd trans, either way I'll try to find something with a safety switch like mine has now. I know its a bit heavy but the engine is a '99 so I'd have to use a 4l80 or an older turbo700/200 if I wanted overdrive or I'd have to use my turbo350 because the crank sticks out farther in the rear and doesn't use a spacer like the later 6.0l
Also I kind of didn't want to mess with a 4l60 because they are a little weak unless you do a lot to them. The 80 should be stronger with less stuff involved, but it does make finding parts a little harder.
Jess
If you already have a B&M shifter, you should look to see if they make a 4 speed kit for it. They also sell N/S Switches for the B&M stuff fairly cheap. I just bought the Mega-Shifter and it came with N/S and Reverse light switch.
I know all about the Crank as my engine is a 99 6.0 as well. I used the 4l80e for my swap because I wanted overdrive and a strong transmission that could handle plenty of abuse. I added the transgo rebuild and the transgo h2 shift kit. I have maybe 550 in my whole transmission including the transmission.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Adam123
If you already have a B&M shifter, you should look to see if they make a 4 speed kit for it. They also sell N/S Switches for the B&M stuff fairly cheap. I just bought the Mega-Shifter and it came with N/S and Reverse light switch.
I know all about the Crank as my engine is a 99 6.0 as well. I used the 4l80e for my swap because I wanted overdrive and a strong transmission that could handle plenty of abuse. I added the transgo rebuild and the transgo h2 shift kit. I have maybe 550 in my whole transmission including the transmission.
Good luck
I have a star shifter I think from B&M. Its got all the switches but I'll see if they have something to make it work for a 4spd. I went with the 4l80 for the same reason and I got it really cheap. I'll have to look into that Transgo kit.
Jess
Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Updates are pretty marginal this time around. I've got a new to me S10 SS that I'm trying to make a daily driver so I can sell the Camaro and free up some cash for my swap. I got the lights wired and installed on the elky this weekend so I figured I'd throw up a pic or two.

The center lights have 3000K HIDs without a projector and are wired to an aux switch for fog lights. The outside lights have 6000K HIDs in bi-xenon projectors for low and high beam use.

Still need to aim the lights, but the cutoff is pretty cool!

And the switches in the dash (I still need to figure out how to get rid of the washer switch)

As for the swap, I'm still gathering parts. I also scored a set of 98 Camaro front rotors and calipers for a brake swap on the El Camino.

I just need to get some larger wheels now...and a few more engine/drivetrain parts for the swap and I'll begin.
Jessica
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Picking up a rear end out of a WS6 this weekend for the rear brakes (they are slotted rotors even). It has posi and decent gears because it was a manual car so I'll save those for my S10.

Its a really fun truck; who would have guessed there was such a thing as an SS S10? And in case you were wondering there is a way to verify it with build codes, it is the real deal
Probably going to order a transmission crossmember in the next few weeks and I'm looking for some 17" rims to fit over the brakes. I'm hoping to start tearing into the car by June.
Jessica
Old 04-30-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Never knew about the s10 ss. What tranny and motor does it have and what year is it?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Never knew about the s10 ss. What tranny and motor does it have and what year is it?
Its a 97: has an HO 4.3L (something like 195hp stock) and a 4L60e. Has a posi and decent 3.xx (can't remember exactly) gears. This one has a higher stall converter magnaflow cat back CAI and throttle body work done. Factory zq8 suspension package and this one is lowered 3 or 4 in front and I think 5 or 6 in rear on 17" rims. I didn't know they existed until I went to look at this one, apparently they are pretty rare. The extremes replaced them but these only came in a standard cab unlike the extremes that came in extended.

Jessica
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAD78BU

Jesus H Christ, I wouldn't know where to begin!!!! What a nightmare that looks like lol... but some people just look at that and say big deal, no biggie, wheew!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates are pretty marginal this time around. I've got a new to me S10 SS that I'm trying to make a daily driver so I can sell the Camaro and free up some cash for my swap. I got the lights wired and installed on the elky this weekend so I figured I'd throw up a pic or two.

The center lights have 3000K HIDs without a projector and are wired to an aux switch for fog lights. The outside lights have 6000K HIDs in bi-xenon projectors for low and high beam use.

Still need to aim the lights, but the cutoff is pretty cool!

And the switches in the dash (I still need to figure out how to get rid of the washer switch)

As for the swap, I'm still gathering parts. I also scored a set of 98 Camaro front rotors and calipers for a brake swap on the El Camino.

I just need to get some larger wheels now...and a few more engine/drivetrain parts for the swap and I'll begin.
Jessica
Those headlights are AWESOME, how did you do that? what are those projectors out of?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
Jesus H Christ, I wouldn't know where to begin!!!! What a nightmare that looks like lol... but some people just look at that and say big deal, no biggie, wheew!!!
I assume you're talking about that big mess of spaghetti on my dining room table? It was there for a little over a month getting it all back in one piece. My dad saw it and couldn't believe I'd waste my time, but I had a lot of free time after work to fix it and fixing it was cheaper than buying a whole new one
Jessica
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
Those headlights are AWESOME, how did you do that? what are those projectors out of?
I bought a set of 4x6 conversion housings and I basically cut the back of them out and smashed the lens. The glue wouldn't let go on the lens so there wasn't much of a choice. I cut a new lens from acrylic and glued that into the trim bezel and then glued that to the housing to seal it all up. The back I sealed with RTV and aluminum tape. The projectors are just Morimoto H1 Bi-xenons from the retrofit source. They are pretty small but they still barely fit! I had 4 in my camaro but since I am selling it I decided to pull them and try this instead. It only took a week or so to figure it out.

Got a picture of it outside with the grille on, gives a little better idea of what it looks like.

Jessica

Last edited by 78_elky; 05-02-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Got the rear end this weekend from an Fbody. Pulling the brakes sometime this week and maybe getting some new wheels that will fit here in the next few weeks. Its all coming together.

Jessica

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build