Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 chevelle with 2002 Camaro Z28 components compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 chevelle with 2002 Camaro Z28 components compatible?

Hi all ,
Im a long time fan of the forum and check it alot but just recently registered.
I wanted to get some advice guys for the conversion I want to do.

I have a 1972 chevelle and the option to get a 2002 Camaro Z28.
I want to pull the motor and drive train and put it in the chevelle.
how much can be moved over to the chevelle.

Will the brakes from the z28 and rear end fit without to much hassle?
Also I want to run Speed Tech Performance A-Body Track Time Suspension Package would it be compatible with the camaro brakes?

thank you guys for any info
its greatly appreciated
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard, check the stickies at the top of this section. You should be able to find pretty much all you want to need to know. As for specific questions, the group here has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and is more than willing to share. Your biggest challenge with this swap is the oil pan. Short of notching the crossmember you should plan on making a change to one intended for your chassis. Believe me you will be glad you made the investment. As far as the rear end from the Camaro goes, you have a better axle in the 8.5 already in the car. If memory serves you can adapt the rear brakes to the housing ends, I did this some years ago in my 64 convertible.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My first car was a 72 Chevelle. I agree with Goat's comments above. I would also consider what motor mounts you are going to be using and make sure they will work with the oil pan. Dirty Dingo mounts are nice, you may want to check them out.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. many if not most of the doner car can be used to swap it into your 72 Chevelle. you can do a simple engine, trans and brake swap with many off the self parts and kits now a days. Jon at PSI can help with the a standalone wiring harness or you can DIY it.

I have seen swaps that has just about used everything they could fit in to the car, that would include the body harness and components (electric windows, Desh, gauges, etc), basically it was a old Shell with all new parts

Goat is correct, that 7.5 out of the Camaro is weak. your 8.5" can be made to handle enough power that people have gone deep in to the 9's with the 8.5" if built correctly. Swap in a later 30 spline unit with alxes and some other parts, Use the LS1 / F-Body brakes and you should be good, all you need is a spacer for the brake, but the E-Brake is something you will have to fab up.

Get a swap pan (MAST or Holley or Autocraft), as stated, you will be better off. Stick with one manufactor if you can for swap plates, mounts, headers, etc.
Mixing and matching parts can lead to many problems unless you know that they will work together.

But do some research, cause asking us to tell you everything, is like writing a swap book for you and many of us have done that already and you will get better answers if your question are directed to a specific area or question. Use the FAQ/Stickeys or but one of the many Book on the market.

There is a section of swap projects in the FAQ for many Body styles There is one for the A-body. Also, if you check the Sig's, many have there swap thread in a link, just follow them.

Just my 2 cents..

BC
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciated the advice very much.

I will check those stickys and sigs.
Im working on a word doc. and on "paper" going from the front of the car to the back end with experience and suggestions from other builds.

Thank you all who have posted.

Quick Reply: 1972 chevelle with 2002 Camaro Z28 components compatible?