Sponsored by:

2009 GMC 1500 nemb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 GMC 1500 nemb question

Group,
First great board, tons of info. I am new to the LS series of engine from a wrenching side of things. I have a question I am hoping someone on here can help me with. I have a 2009 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 Alum block and heads, what would be required to swap a 6.2L in to this truck? I hope I am posting this in the right forum, and thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Your 6.2 should have 2 connections up front, one for VVT and the other is the cam position sensor, the connector on the back of your other engine is for DOD (displacement on demand) if you do a VVT delete on the 6.2l it will be a complete drop in swap! You will need:

-non VVT 4x cam sproket (06 and up vette ls2/ls3)
-LS2 chain and dampner/tensioner
-non VVT front cover or LS2 style front cover

OR you can just swap the non VVT parts over from your 5.3, You will have to have the DOD that your old 5.3l had turned off in the tune once you get the 6.2 up and running!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Default 2009 gmc 5.3l

Thanks for the quick reply, let me explain what I am trying to do. I got in to this truck from diesel ¾ ton truck, so I have been used to a little more go than the 5.3 offers. I do tow a bass boat on a regular basis, and would like to not have to work the truck so hard. Then I am just a gear head at heart, I have a supercharged 5.0 coupe, which I built from a shell up, so I can spin a wrench. I just have never messed with the LS series of engine; however as I read more I am starting to think the old blue oval in the stang may need to take a vacation, while a turbo’d 5.3 fills in.
Anyway, back to the truck, I installed a BullyDog tuner and ran it like that for a year. It did wake it up a little, and I stress little, but now the truck has developed a “pop” that I can hear in the exhaust when the truck is under load. I am worried that I may have a lifted HG, but I have not been able to confirm that as of yet. Pulled all the plugs they all look good, maybe a touch on the lean side, but over all they look good, no water in the oil, and no oil in the coolant that I can detect. So this weekend I will do a leak down test, one other thing is that this “pop” only occurs once I get to operating temp.
With all of that being said, I am just trying to learn as much as I can about what options I have if I end up tearing into this engine. Do I swap it for more cubes, repair and mod a little? I am open to suggestions and all input will be welcomed.

Thanks to all

Quick Reply: 2009 GMC 1500 nemb question