Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Alternator wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Alternator wiring help

hey guys, i'm working on a 67 chevy Pickup, has an LS1/4L60E combo, i recently installed a PAINLESS engine/trans harness and Painless Truck harness. having troubles with the wiring for the alternator. the guy installed a 2005 LS2 GTO alternator on the LS1, why he did this i dont know. anyways. i've wired up the entire truck and everything circuit is working correctly but battery drains after a couple days. disconnected alternator and battery is fine.

i wired the alternator as follows, battery to starter: starter to lug on alternator. on the 2 wire connector, 1 wire is jumped to alternator lug and other wire tied into 12v activation wire from painless truck harness. the way i have it wired the truck works perfect, charges at 14.2v while idling except the battery drain part.

Question is did i wire the connector wrong and thats whats causing it. Do i have to wire the resistor into the wire like i've been reading about or no?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you in advance
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's the way mine is wired:

Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the pic but totally different alternator in this truck i'm working on, it has the CLUTCH style alternator, 05 GTO LS2. your setup is the same as my LS1 in my impala.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lownslo64
Thx for the pic but totally different alternator in this truck i'm working on, it has the CLUTCH style alternator, 05 GTO LS2. your setup is the same as my LS1 in my impala.
Gotcha.

I was thinking perhaps yours only requires two wires (main lug + field), and no jumper from the 2-wire plug to the main lug. My alternator (LS7 corvette) is 'supposed' to use three of the four terminals on the weather pack plug, and I actually just need the one shown--no power drain and charges @ 14.7 volts. Perhaps your might be the same way?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lownslo64
...on the 2 wire connector, 1 wire is jumped to alternator lug and other wire tied into 12v activation wire from painless truck harness...
Do you have the 12v activation (trigger) wire hooked to battery power? It should be hooked to an ignition powered 12v, otherwise your alternator is always on and this may be causing your battery to drain.

You can research this as I am not an expert, but I do believe you will need to install a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor in line on the 12v activation (trigger) wire, or your alternator may not live long.

Quick Reply: LS2 Alternator wiring help