Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. How to run fuel system. 96 camaro LT1 to turbo LQ4.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help. How to run fuel system. 96 camaro LT1 to turbo LQ4.

I should have posted here first I guess. But heres a repost.

Hey guys, I found very little info on how to set up the fuel system on just a NA LS swap. But nothing is coming up for a turbo LS swap. I've already started parting things together and buying a Huron turbo kits in a few days.

I have a 96 LT1 with T56. I have read that guys are using a 00 corvette FPR/filter and puting it on the LS fuel rails. Guys seem to not like this because its "tacky" with the stock fuel lines, so they relocate it to under the car. I have actually relocated my lines, and dont mind having the FPR connected to the fuel rails. Wouldnt be so bad with my lines. Heres a pic.

Will this work? Do I need any fittings? And biggest question, do I have to somehow make the fuel PSI vary with boost psi? If so how would I go about this? Would I still go with the corvette FPR or a different setup?

I understand the fuel line feed and return are different sizes than the corvette FPR, but where would I find adaptors or fittings to make it work?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, so, I posted this in three times in two sites and nothing.

So what I've found out on my own is, with a turbo setup you have to have a boost referenced FPR, and a return line. Thats hard for the LS guys because they dont have a return line so they have to make it. But I already have a return line. So does this make things easier for me? Any ideas to get me going?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Already have the lines". What size, and how are they now run?
Remove the Vette filter, and add in an in-line filter and reg.
[Aeromotive site has diagrams showing this.]

Assuming the pump is:
A. In tank
B. large enuf for forced ind power, and has sufficient power to it.

The filter on the pump will/should protect it, and then the 10m in line would protect the injs.

Fittings??
Summit has all U need. Braided -? for both ends of the new filter.
Whatever will connect the return to the adj reg.
Whatever will connect the rail return to the reg. [single w/ x over on the rail?]
I always draw a diagram like is on the Aero site, note fitting sizes at the connection points, make a list, goto Fragola Perf site, get the numbers, goto Summit and buy them. DON'T forget the fittings for the reg in/out, and any reg plugs that you may need. [1 side of the reg may need to be plugged, unless you run returns from both rails.]
The reg will/should have a fitting for vac/boost reference plumbing. [I use Aeromotive regs/filters.]
If you are going to burn E85, then the lines should be changed to teflon lined... Another ball game, altogether.

NOTE! When adding a return style reg, that's boost referenced, the inj constants have to be retuned to a single value.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Since you already have the braided lines you are 1 step closer.

If you decide to use the Vette regulator (and stock LSx rails), all you need are a few fittings & a short section of hose to connect everything. The quick connects you have (5/16" & 3/8") will plug onto the Vette regulator. You need to make a hose from the Vette regulator to the fuel rails & you are done.

With this setup, you lose the ability to boost reference, plus if you are running high HP, you may want to set the car up with a lower base pressure (43.5psi instead of the 58psi setting), making the aftermarket regulator a better option.

To add an aftermarket regulator... All you have to do is hook the existing feed line to your LSx rails... I'm assuming you will be adding aftermarket rails to do this. Connect a crossover between the front end of the rails & connect a regulator to the remaining rear port, which then goes to your existing return line.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Old Geezer. The lines are not on a 00corvette FPR yet, this pic is on my LT1 with LT1 FPR. Its the stock sized lines 3/8" and 5/16". They are run from the FPR on the fuel rail, through driver side fender, the hard lines under the car. The fuel pump is in tank with a fuel filter in line, all stock. I will be changing the fuel pump just want to get everything figured out before I buy anything.

First question is will they be big enough? Also I've been told in another thread that I dont want the quick disconnect. How would I fix this. You say I need an in line filter and FPR, the filter is in line so I shouldnt have to worry about that right. Just need an inline FPR, boost referenced I'm assuming.

I wont be running e85. Only one station here has it so dont have to worry about that.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Lonnies Performance, I'll be responding on your other thread.

Quick Reply: Need help. How to run fuel system. 96 camaro LT1 to turbo LQ4.