Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual vs. automatic donor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manual vs. automatic donor

Hi guys, Is there any advantages to using an engine from a manual trans car over one from an automatic car if I want to use the LS engine with a TKO 5 speed behind it? I realize that I won't get a flywheel if it's from an automatic but are there any concerns as far as the ECM goes?
I tried to use the search and Read the FAQ section but didn't see anything about this.
Thanks, Dan.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
We used an LS1 out of a 98 Vette (that had a manual trans) and put it into our 89 S10 pickup and put a 4L60E behind it. We also used the PCM & wiring harness out of the 98 Vette.
In asking around, one place told me that you couldn't reprogram the PCM from a stick to an automatic and another place told me you could. Our guy that did the programming reprogrammed it from a stick to an automatic and it works great. A couple of notes. 1. your programmer will need to put in the "subroutine" required to run your particular type of transmission. He (or she) will also need to put in whatever values or parameters it needs as well.
2. If you are using the original harness and modifying it to integrate with your car or truck's harness, you will need to remove the wires that have to do with the transmission that you are NOT using, and add wires that have to do with the transmission that you ARE using. Modifying the harness isn't that difficult to do. You just need to read all of the pertinent wiring diagrams, make notes, and take your time (then double check your work). We were able to get connector shells & pins (including the PCM connector pins) at our local GM dealership.
Also, I would strongly recommend (if possible), buying the engine, harnesses, PCM, and anything else you can get out of the same vehicle. The thought behind this is that the components all worked together at one time and shoud ive a better chance of working together again. I really believe that this helped a lot when we did our conversion. I also suspect that in the long run, it can be less expensive then piecing a system together.

The advantages to using an engine/harness/PCM out of a manual car will be minimal reprogramming and rewiring.
Buying the engine, PCM, and harness out of the same vehicle, (even if you end up reprogramming the PCM and doing a bit of harness modification) is more of an advantage (in my opinion) than getting the engine, harness, & PCM out of different vehicles (even if they are all out of manual cars.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by OldS10; 01-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: manual vs. automatic donor