Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power steering pump help

Can anyone help me out and measure the f-bodies power steering pump body? I have a Ford power steering pump that looks exactly like the f-body pump. It even bolts up to the f- body bracket. I just need to know if it is the right depth. Appreciate it if someone could help.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get it to fit and work, then your good.. but that is only 1/2 of the issue.

What would be more inportant for you know is the pumps rating on the output.. that being the volume and pressure. How or what is the pressure of the releif valve set to. etc... What are you using it to drive, steering gear or rack and what are the spec's of what it is requiring.?

Pumps can vary a few hundred lbs of pressure to over 2500psi.. From what I recall reading from other threads, them Ford R/P required less pressure than a F-Body R/P.

Not at home, else I'd measure a 4th Gen F-Body one for you...

BC
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
If you can get it to fit and work, then your good.. but that is only 1/2 of the issue.

What would be more inportant for you know is the pumps rating on the output.. that being the volume and pressure. How or what is the pressure of the releif valve set to. etc... What are you using it to drive, steering gear or rack and what are the spec's of what it is requiring.?

Pumps can vary a few hundred lbs of pressure to over 2500psi.. From what I recall reading from other threads, them Ford R/P required less pressure than a F-Body R/P.

Not at home, else I'd measure a 4th Gen F-Body one for you...

BC
Sorry, should have added that it's going in a 1995 Mustang GT with the stock rack. The pump came from a newer 4.0L Ranger. It bolted up with little modification. I'll have to do some research on how much output pressure it makes.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ford Rack and Ford Pump.. should be close ?... good luck..

I know there was a thread on Power Steering pump spec on pressure, you might try searching for it here in the section of the Forum.

might only require some tuning in the releif valve (a spring/valve in the High Pressure port, remove the flange nut to access it).

BC
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I found that the pump is called a Ford C-III saginaw style pump and is similar to GM's pump. It is used in alot of later model Fords, including 4.6L mustangs. Didn't find much for flow specs tho.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump help