Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter issues

Hello all. I was hoping for a bit of help on an issue I am having with my shifter locking. I'll try to explain the best way I can. I have an 83 Trans Am I am swapping an 04 GTO engine into. I'm have having issues as far as what I am told from with the new transmission, when I shift into Park, Neutral, Drive, Reverse ect, it doesn't seem to lock in and can still move between the gears. Has anyone ever had this issue or is it quite common when doing this swap? Does anyone have any ideas I could try to get this corrected? Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shifter are you using ? is it a OEM or aftermarket one ? The shifter itself might have some Gates or lever to lock out from going into reverse (or other gears). But that is just the Shifter itself. If there is no mechanical gates, locks or levers in the shifter. Then yes, you would be able to just shift through the gears.

the transmission itself doesn't have any thing that would lock in gear. There is the Detents which help to place the shifter shaft in the correct posistion for the Valve Body.

BC
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Default Shifter issues

I just have an original shifter that came out of an 83 Trans Am. Would you suggest me getting a new one or have an aftermarket one in mind that would work?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if the shifter is able to shift through the gears without stopping or feeling the shifters detent, I would say that the Shifter Detents are either broken or mis-aligned.

IIFC, You would normally press the top button and release to shift out of Park into reverse. It should then click as you shift from reverse to Neutral and then OD, 3, 2, 1.. if you don't feel the detent/click or momentarily stop. I would look at the shifter.

You should also have to push the button to shift from neutral to Reverse/Park.

If you go under the car, disconnect the shifter at the trans, you should be able to move the shaft and feel if the transmission internal detents are working, it should click at each shift position. but you should be able to just completelyh shift right through all of the gears without anything to stop you (that is the shifters job).

You could go either way, new/replacement or aftermarket. you call ...

BC
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Default shifter issues

hey thanks man

Quick Reply: Shifter issues