Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body vs Corvette Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Body vs Corvette Alternator

Hi Guys, I'm new here to this forum. I did try to search for my answer first, but with no luck. Do the F-Body and Corvette alternators wire up the same?

Here's my situation. LS swap into a 77 Corvette. The LS is a Corvette type of configuration, but due to a clearance issue with an upper A-arm bolt I've put the accessories at the F-Body distance from the motor. This is about 3/4 of an inch further out than the Corvette location. I'm using some brackets from Holley to accomplish this and I thought the only part I would have to change is the balancer. Turns out the bracket won't accept the Corvette alternator and I have to switch to the F-Body type.

Will this F-Body alternator accept the connector, and will the wiring be right, from the Corvette wiring harness?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think year of the harness/PCM and alternator would be key information on this question.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Everything LS related I got from a 2000 Corvette
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be happy, the F-body alternator is waaay cheaper and easier to find. At worst, just re-pin the connector shell...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Be happy, the F-body alternator is waaay cheaper and easier to find. At worst, just re-pin the connector shell...
I agree.

If you can fit it (which may not work for your application) I prefer the truck alternators because they are easier to find and cheaper still. The DR 44 alternators are in a slightly larger 147mm (5 3/4") diameter case but produce 140 amps. F-Body alternators are 102 and standard truck alternators are 105 amp. All three share the two main bolt spacing and mount to the same brackets.

Quick Reply: F-Body vs Corvette Alternator