Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel problem solved, but my Lokar shifter wrecked the truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel problem solved, but my Lokar shifter wrecked the truck.

I figured out this morning that the reason the truck wouldn't run properly was the fuel pump was only delivering 40-50 psi. Replaced it, ran perfectly. While I was working, fixed the problem with the gas gauge sender, which turned out to be just a bad ground.

Then, leaning in the truck to turn on the key to make sure the gauge still worked after putting the gauge panel back in the dash, it started, in drive, and crashed into something else in the garage, mangling the rt. front fender, and ruining the bumper. The neutral safety switch in the Lokar shifter failed. I thought I'd turned the switch "Off" earlier, and was only turning it to the "On" position, but nooo, I'd left it "On".

So, now that it's running right, it's dented. Could be worse, but I didn't plan on repairing that fender.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel problem solved, but my Lokar shifter wrecked the truck.-dsc04457-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw your thread on hotrodders.com, sad deal. Glad no one got hurt...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

man, that is a bummer.. looks like a nice looking car too.. Hope you had insurance to cover it.. and that you can get it fixed quickly...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm assuming you weren't hurt which is a positive.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Glad you're alright! And to think, some people don't even use neutral safety switches. Personally, I always use them, and factory ones seem to be a little better than generic aftermarket types. I prefer the factory mounted to the transmission switches since there can sometimes be slop in the linkage that makes the column mounted ones somewhat inaccurate. Hope your truck isn't damaged too much.

Reminds me of the time I ran my '34 Ford pick up into my Nova, I had the truck pulled out of the garage, and was filthy dirty so when I went to pull it back in I didn't want to sit in it so I stood on the running board, put it in gear and when it took off, I couldn't step on the brake in time. Smashed the grill shell right into the bumper guard of the Nova. Learned the hard way not to do that again.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 346 Likes on 234 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is that a Diamond T...???
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that sucks. Must have been a pretty sinking feeling when things started moving. It's not like you were doing anything stupid either, just a bad run of luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When i was younger i had a datsun 510 that i would start with a screw driver on the starter because my ignition didn't work. I forgot to put it in neutral one morning car was a manual and car took off went over a bank and crashed into a tree. If the tree wasn't there it would have crashed into a house.

Quick Reply: Fuel problem solved, but my Lokar shifter wrecked the truck.