Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Turbo TA

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1971 Turbo TA

Like to do a LQ4 or L76 engine swap in my 71 TA. I'm thinking the truck manifolds with a twin turbo setup. looking to do about 800 at the tires, and maybe try my hand with a megasquirt pro I might just start out with a stock engine and thinking the LQ4 or L76 are maybe the best candidates if I can find one in good shape. I'm also considering the AES 390 engine as they are fairly affordable and look very strong. but after seeing what you guys have been able to do with "truck bomb" motors I'm amazed at the reliable power they make and they sure seem to hold up well if tuned right.

considering 80 lb injectors, a pair of walbro 340 pumps with a hobbs, a custom tank, and looking for affordable turbo options that would be responsive on the street but give enough flow to go up to 1200 hp if I ever want to turn up the wick, get more aggressive with the tune and run race gas

I'd love to run e85 but honestly it's a bit hard to find around here unless I "brew my own"
When I was racing the alchy corvette (for sale) I had barrels of the methanol around all the time.

The TA runs good right now and has a mild 455 which will be for sale. it also has tremec 5 spd but I'm considering a 480LE auto as they should work out better with the turbo. I think the megasquirt PRO might have provisions for the tranny control. also like to do some paddle shifters as I think that would really be fun.

I'm also looking at the possibility of a big single turbo (s470 or similar).

for either a single or twin turbo I'm looking for a kit that can be adapted to the 71 F body. looks like with some modiications, the kits that go into the late model F body cars might work as there is a ton of room in the old poncho.

I'll slowly be scrounging up the parts and looking for some solid mechanics in the alex Va area to help with the build

any help you guys have or pointing me to similar turbo 2nd gen buids is much appreciated!!

not a total noob to turbo cars, I have a nice turbo buick and a twin turbo (TTIx kit) Z06 corvette (800 rwhp). but as I get older I'm farming out more of the hard core work and will be looking for help.

need to sell my turbo buick and race car to fund this project!!

thanks for any thoughts and advice

here's some pics of the old poncho FYI I also have a nice 496 big block I may sell instead of swapping it in. the lure of a turbo LS motor is getting stronger!!

the turbo vette

Last edited by rkreigh; 04-18-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scouring ebay for truck take outs want a 5.3 & 480le trans for a decent price, low mile preferred as I'll likely start out stock

like to run a MS3 or maybe HP tuners and the factory stuff to start (like feedback on that)

looking to do a "budget" build. I'll need to pay for this project with whatever I can sell the BB chevy for (around 6k)

thanks for any advice

496 BB alum head 565 chevy going up for sale soon

I think the LS turbo motor will be more to my liking weight a bit less, and be more fun to tinker around and tune. fuel injected turbo cars are just way too much fun

Quick Reply: 1971 Turbo TA