Sponsored by:

question on mating engine to transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default question on mating engine to transmission

Hi all,

I might be in the market for a new engine (my 5.3 I bought might be a boat anchor). I want to keep the 4L60e I have if I can. My question is, can I mate ANY LS series engine to this transmission? I might have the option to buy an L76 from a G8 GT, and that engine originally have a 6 speed auto, not the 4 speed I have now.

If it's possible, what's involved? Can a tuner do this through the computer?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdave84
Hi all,

I might be in the market for a new engine (my 5.3 I bought might be a boat anchor). I want to keep the 4L60e I have if I can. My question is, can I mate ANY LS series engine to this transmission? I might have the option to buy an L76 from a G8 GT, and that engine originally have a 6 speed auto, not the 4 speed I have now.

If it's possible, what's involved? Can a tuner do this through the computer?
Yes. they all mate up just fine. The transmission and engine combo doesnt make a damn bit of difference. Just be sure the converter to flexplate mating is correct. the biggest thing to figure is which ECM and Harness are you running?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be able to fix that 5.3 for a fraction of what that G8 motor would cost,why not get it going better first and look into a bigger inch motor down the road?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
You should be able to fix that 5.3 for a fraction of what that G8 motor would cost,why not get it going better first and look into a bigger inch motor down the road?
I am still trying to diagnose the 5.3. In fact, several people are trying to figure out what the problem is. One of them works for Chevrolet and so far he still has no idea what is wrong with it.

I really don't have a place to tear apart the engine down to the block to rebuild. Plus, I would like the extra HP I can get from an L76, as opposed to my stock truck motor

Quick Reply: question on mating engine to transmission