Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corvette c5 or camaro(ls1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation corvette c5 or camaro(ls1)

hey guys im new here and i already have a question.next year im planing to get a corvette c5 or a camaro z28/ss but i cant figure out which one to get any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM

i was in your shoes too, i went with the camaro because it was cheaper than the c5, if money isn't a problem to you than go with the c5. either way your still going to be driving a ls1
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Launching!

I've had both.... had a few 98 Z28 Camaros.... sold them, got a c5..... sold the C5 and went back to a 2000 Camaro ss

Couple things ....

#1 Corvette tax .... parts are expensive .... targa top / window seals are like $1000 if you need them all

#2 independent rear suspension... rides very nice, but wheel hops every time the tires spin.... (no joke, everytime)

#3 clutch replacement on a c5, the entire drive line must be removed from the car, its not just a simple, pull trans, replace clutch, install trans. The transmission is actually physically attached to the rear end.

#4 Targa top out = super loud and windy as hell
T-tops out = Not even bad, little wind and noise compared to targa top

#5 Tire sizes... 17 front, 18 rear ( no rotating tires)

#6 heat from center console... on long drives the c5's center console heats up pretty good... warms up your right leg a decent amount... can really feel it if your in driving in shorts.

If your looking at getting a cruiser to have fun with and drag race.. Camaro
If your looking to race on a road course, or anything other than drag racing .. C5
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit harsh against the Vette, don't you think b.lee??
#1 - Buying all-new factory seals for any car would be expensive, not just a Vette, but I don't know why you'd need to replace them on a late-model car?? Other parts are all comparable to a Camaro in terms of price, I've actually found that certain parts are cheaper for the Vette. In any case, it's not prohibitive.
#2 - There are remedies for the wheel hop - ZR1 Axle, new bushings, etc. Mine only hops occasionally, and it's bone-stock.
#3 - Yep, you have to drop the drivetrain - torque tube, transaxle, etc. How many times do you have to install a clutch over the life of a car, and what is the real difference in labor? They take the same clutch as the camaro, so the parts cost is identical. Care to talk about changing spark plugs or doing just about anything on the rear of a Camaro engine? Half the damn motor is under the windshield, so let's not talk about how hard the Vette is to wrench on, it's really not bad at all.
#4 - No experience with T-tops here, and only limited experience with a Targa, I have a Z06 so I don't have that option anyway, but every open-roof car has some kind of downside, it is what it is.
#5 - Plenty of guys run wider tires on the rear of a Camaro, which creates the same issue. By the same logic, you can run a square 275/40-17 setup on the C5 if that's important to you. You have to tweak or disable the Active Handling to do so, but it's a crappy system anyway.
#6 - I've never noticed it, even driving from MN to MO and back again, but if you have an issue with heat, there are plenty of insulating products available.

There are plenty of Pros and Cons to both, but I've driven both and absolutely love the Vette, I daily-drive mine all summer long until the snow falls. The biggest thing the Camaro has going for it is the price, you can find plenty of them for cheap, but only because there are a lot that have been ragged on and beat over the years. With a little patience you can easily pick up a nice C5 M6 for $12k, and that's a steal in my book....

-matt
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys very helpfull information
Old 05-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by monteboy84
A bit harsh against the Vette, don't you think b.lee??
I owned mine for 2 years, just all previous experience.
Nothing harsh, but the truth hurts. (corvette tax hurts too)
Everything I mentioned is common knowledge over on corvetteforum.com

sold it (99 c5 6spd) with 114,000 miles for $11,300... it wasn't a perfect car but it was in "good" shape.

bought an 00 SS with 109k for $5,000... leaves about $6,300 left over for a turbo setup, ford 9", etc

With all that said I would love to have my old 99 Vette back..... but I cant afford it... my bank account is much happier now

Quick Reply: corvette c5 or camaro(ls1)