Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fused switched power

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fused switched power

I'm trying to install a PSI wiring harness on my 68 firebird. I don't have a under dash diagram and couldn't find one that I can use. Can someone tell me what color is the fused switched power under on the driver's side that I should be connecting to?
thanks
Scott
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Launching!

PM me your email and I'll send you the schematics for a '69 Camaro. Most of the wiring is the same between the first gen years and models.

FWIW, I didn't trust the wiring set up for an original 37 amp charging system in mine so I added in an auxiliary circuit straight from the battery. 4 AWG fused cable from the battery (with 110A alternator) to a six circuit fuse block, then one of those always hot circuits fused for 30A going across a 40A relay to another six circuit fuse block with the relay being energized by the ACC spade on the original fuse block. It fits under the factory console and anything non-original added to the car got power from that new circuit.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

I'll send you a PM but you're speaking a different language. It will have to be wiring for dummies. PSI's harness came with a fuse block. There's nothing on it that goes directly to the battery though.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I looked at the webpage for PSI and from looks of it you maybe just need "control power" not a full blown supply right?

There should be a male spade terminal on your factory fuse block labeled "IGN". This is hot with the key in both START and RUN and is the same circuit that supplies your factory ignition. You can simply use a female spade connector and plug it in there. I run my MSD distributor and control power for my EFI from there. You definitely want to use this point as the other key on power sources are hot ONLY with the key in RUN. That means your ECU would go dead with the key in START during cranking.

Last edited by SSellers; 06-01-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ishmael - It's also worth noting that (from what I've seen) PSI has really good customer support as well. I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't ask here - hell, your question(s) could very well help answer someone else's issue a few weeks/months down the road - but I've seen them post answers in other people's wiring harness threads. I've asked a bunch of 'pre-sales' questions one weekend, & got my answers back on a Sunday night...!

Just saying that's another option available to ya...
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I emailed him today and got a really quick response but there's a point when I don't want to bother people anymore and I'm really not good with wiring terms. Between psi and ssellers I think I have most of it covered.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand, & it's commendable to be considerate of others' time/efforts - but you ALSO don't want to put yourself in a position where you have an unsafe vehicle either...

I've done a quick search for sites that I thought might prove helpful for you, and found quite a few, including videos. Here's the link to the search results, I'd respectfully suggest that spending an hour or two with these will lead to an easier, and MUCH less frustrating experience.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: fused switched power