Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 chevelle - ls2 swap - new fuel tank please help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 chevelle - ls2 swap - new fuel tank please help !

Hi,

Ive been lurking on these boards for a while as a guest and trying to absorb as much info as i can.

I have a 1968 Chevelle with an ls2 swap from an 06GTO in it.

I didnt do the swap, but bought the car with the swap already done, and the engine had a spun rod bearing.

I pulled the engine and im getting a 408 stroker longblock built by thompson motorsports.

while this is being done, im taking some time to redo a few things that he did that i would have done different.

The guy used the 06 GTO as a donor, took the engine, tranny, wiring setup, and tank along with the original pump and all that. The tank is in the trunk and has a hoopty filler and stuff and i just dont like it.

I ordered a tanks inc tank setup with pump and fuel sending unit. this is where im having issues. It came with a walbro 255 lph pump ( which i think im sending back for a 340 lph AEM or similar. ) anyway, the thing has a return which the GTO does not ( i think i found a solution for this on here - running a filter and a T and then running the return back to the tank from there. )

the main issue im having is how to wire this pump up, can i find a harness or something that will plug into the old OEM plug set that came with the GTO, or do i abandon that all together

should i go in a completely different direction for my fuel tank / pump etc

i know this is kinda scatterbrained and im sorry for that, if no one responds i will understand... Im just at my wits end here and im hoping someone out there might be able to help me with a starting point or an example to follow

Thanks

Justin
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The Tanks Inc should work. The walbro 255 is adequate for an LS2. You can use on 02 corvette filter regulator to control pressure. It has a return port on it to go back to the tank.
A lot of the 68-72 A body guys here used the 96 Caprice tank (myself included) with Racetronics pump and wiring upgrade (it's a walbro 255), and the corvette filter/regulator. The tank is baffled, sumped, designed for efi and fits nicely in the A bodies.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i plan on upgrading that 255lph because im getting a 408 built which should have somewhere between 600-650 hp at crank.

the tanks inc setup i bought had the fuel sending unit and the walbro 255 ( neither installed ) but it came as a kit. ( that being said, im not opposed to send it back and start from square one ) i just want a nice looking, easy to install setup that will provide the fuel that i need

the issue im having isnt installing the tank or fuel lines, but doing the wiring of the pump

i just dont know anything about it, currently it has the stock tank and pump from the 06gto donor car - which uses the wiring harness from the same donor...

thats where im having issues, how does that work - do i just wire it up separately or do they have a kit that can plug into the exisiting wiring harness ?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably no kit, but most of the wiring connectors are off the shelf weatherpack, so you could just change out the connector. For the pump, it's just power, ground, and fuel sender. Not sure if you have things like tank pressure, vent, etc wires, but they're not used.

Quick Reply: 68 chevelle - ls2 swap - new fuel tank please help !