Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO whose ben to a california ref with their LSx swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO whose ben to a california ref with their LSx swap

Im trying to figure out the best combo...im actually a licensed smog tech in cali, and have done a few setups for the ref before, but nothing with this new a motor.

And yes you can put a truck motor in a car, so lets not have that convo :p

Ive got an 82 olds custom cruiser, got a 350 TBI in it now, ref stickered etc etc...i wanna drop a 5.3 in it. Id love to know from people that have done this with a B-body, what combo of parts were used to get through the ref. I know they will scan the ECU for codes and to be sure things are working like the VSS and the Neutral switch in the ECU...I already know how ill do the Evap system, but where im stuck is the exhaust/intake.

I dunno if a truck intake will fit under the hood. If it does I cant use truck exh manifolds ive read in the B body, they wont fit? F-body manifolds fit but you cant do that on a truck motor, unless you get a guy that doesnt know they are car manifolds...problem with that is car manifolds have the EGR provision and the truck motor doesnt have EGR. A plate over that on the manifolds is gonna be a giveaway they they didnt come on that motor. And I know for a fact they will question that.

Now if I use a car manifold I can use car exhaust manifolds, add the EGR valve etc etc...i can make it look right cause they wont check it electrically. But will they look at the VIN in the ecu and see its a truck 5.3? If so then I have to get an LS1 ECU from a camaro/firebird, but then thats tuned for a 5.7 so thats gonna be an issue...its gotta be dialed in for a 5.3, but will that be an issue. And what if I get a 'rebuilt/new' ecu with no VIN, hows that play out? Im mean, technically they arnt even supposed to be using VIN for anything right now, especially for a motor 10 years old.

So what are the details, who has done a legal swap such as what Im planning on....

EDIT:// SO I just read the 01-02 LS1 do not have EGR, only air injection...either way there are holes in teh manifold that would look wierd

Mark

Last edited by autocomman; 08-09-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Teching In

No answers for you but subscribed! I want to go CARB legal with my LSX into a Porsche 944 so I will be following along. There are a couple of guys on 944hybrids.com who have passed CARB.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Well thinking more i may have answered my questions....now I need to know what truck 5.3 or 6.0s had air injection? If the trucks had air injection, and i know the LS did till 2004 in the C5 and 2001-2002 F-bodys have air injection and no EGR, I can use a truck motor with fbody manifolds and just hook up the air. I know for a fact they wont go hey..those are car manifolds on a truck engine.

So what was the deal with air injection on the LSx trucks?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a full removed yukon 2003 5.3 with dbw and no egr or air pump system .

but I am not sure 0if it was federal or cali emmisions equipped.

around 03 in the truck / suv's thay went away with egr . the intake didn't get machined out for the tube and or the exaust manifold just had a cast bump . no holes .

Quick Reply: SO whose ben to a california ref with their LSx swap