Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone help me with MAF info....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Someone help me with MAF info....

I just bought an LS2, and there was no MAF on it. The connector to plug into it was cut off and is also missing.

I ordered one off Ebay, a Delphi one that was supposed to fit a 2005 GTO LS2 engine, but when I took it out of the box, it measures 3 3/4" diameter on the metal side, and only 3 5/8" on the plastic side.

The throttlebody on my engine is 4", and it makes no sense that the MAF would be smaller than this. Did they send me the wrong MAF?

Thanks all
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LM7 MAF is about 1/2" smaller than my throttle body. I'd imagine the cars use a similar setup.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

On the 2005-2006 GTO the MAF is mounted by the airbox via a duct that connects to the throttle body , I assume you are thinking the MAF mounts to the Throttle Body, it does not. You can mount the maf by the throttle body, Street & Performance sells a air cleaner maf combo to mount it directly to the throttle body. That is how mine is mounted. Although it doesnt get the Cold Air Intake effect mine works fine, I am not interested in every tenth of horsepower.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lizeec
On the 2005-2006 GTO the MAF is mounted by the airbox via a duct that connects to the throttle body , I assume you are thinking the MAF mounts to the Throttle Body, it does not. You can mount the maf by the throttle body, Street & Performance sells a air cleaner maf combo to mount it directly to the throttle body. That is how mine is mounted. Although it doesnt get the Cold Air Intake effect mine works fine, I am not interested in every tenth of horsepower.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I actually had no intention of mounting the MAF at the throttlebody...it just seems to me that if it's all about airflow, GM would have made the MAF and throttlebody the same size. I don't see what good a 4" hole in the TB is if the air has to squeeze through a smaller hole before it gets there.

But then again, I don't design engines.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The LS2 uses a 90mm TB where the actual throttle blade is ~3.5" so your MAF is fine....the tubing ID at the TB is 4"....this isn't the same size as the blade so don't be confused!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John B
The LS2 uses a 90mm TB where the actual throttle blade is ~3.5" so your MAF is fine....the tubing ID at the TB is 4"....this isn't the same size as the blade so don't be confused!

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you

Quick Reply: Someone help me with MAF info....