Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some suggestions please! 1980 malibu

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some suggestions please! 1980 malibu

Just purchased a stock 80 malibu with 267 v8. 350 turbo transmission. Also just bought a 03 6.0 lq4 with harness and ecu, alternator, p/s, ac. Out of a chevy 2500. What parts will I be able to use, what parts will I need, gonna be a street car but want it fast. What heads, headers, cam, springs, oilpan, radiator,etc...to get great performance on a mediocre budget? Never done this swap before.

Thanks folks
Matt
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...dy-malibu.html
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Teching In

That is a loaded question... but here goes. Regardless of car the engine is going into...

Fast is a relative question!! Fast as in, faster than the original 267 V8? Or faster than a new Corvette? Fast as in under 10sec 1/4mile times?

The basic stock engine is capable of some serious power with a cam (with new push rods) and heads. I would consider aftermarket hardware (rod bolts) too.

Fuel System: You will need to upgrade to some form of electric pump. Aeromotive does make a "Phantom" pump. You basically cut a larger diameter hole in your stock fuel tank and install their kit. I think it is around $400-500. You will need to run new fuel lines to the front and a return line and some form of regulator (stock corvette fuel filter seems to be popular. You could run an external pump and regulator for cheaper and will work at lower HP levels (again "lower" is relative).

Accesories: Can't be sure but guessing that the truck FEAD (Front end accessory drive) will not fit under your stock hood. If you modifying your hood you could be ok. A/C pump will probably require notching the cross member.

Oil Pan: You will need an aftermarket oil pan. The truck on hangs too low. There are a number of different options but could be a low of cutting and reusing the truck pan for $100 (or free using your time to cut and weld) to aftermarket $500+.

Engine to transmission: You will require an adapter from GM (or others) to space out the back of the crankshaft relative to the torque converter of the TH350. You will also have to enlarge the holes (elongate) on the flexplate to use the TH350 converter.

ECM, harness, etc - there are many on here that can help you with that issue. I run mine swap carb'd.

Motor mounts - I'd suggest buying or making some adjustable mounts to leave the transmission in the stock location. (no driveshaaft mods required) If you are capaable with a welder ther should be no issue in making mounts. If you aren't then maybe someone can suggest a mount that left the motor in the stock lacation.

Cooling system - The stock chevy rad has different hose sizes and no steam line. It can all be made to work with different combinations of parts. New rad, old rad with cut hoses... lots of options. Electric or mechanical fans. I was able to run the stock mechanical fan in my application. But be prepared to spend some money on the cooling system.

Heat hoses - are you running a heater? The heater hoses off the LS will be different sizes than your stock ones. Some adaption will be required.

Power Steering - I removed the fitting on the back of my stock PS pump for the high pressure hose and screwed it into the "new" one from the LS engine. I then reused the stock high pressure hose. If your truck ran hydroboost you will have 2 return lines use 1 for your return and cap the other.

Header/exhaust - good luck, you will probably not be abble to use the stock manifolds, but again someone else will have to give you specifics. I don't know of any 1980 malibu specific headers for LS swaps, never had a reason to look. LOL.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Teching In

texas speed cam 233/239 112, double springs, lifters, pushrods all ordered, now to the next question. thank for the suggestions'
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the l92 setup as I wanted the retangular port heads, I think they are cheap enough to buy and they make great numbers on the flow bench as mine did. You'll spend more money with a setup like mine and you can still make great hp with cathedral port heads. Choosing the right cam, head and intake package is important also. Like someone said above its a loaded question and just depends on how much money you want to spend. My wife says that I over spent, she's probably right..
Old 09-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Default 1980 malibu

Thanks for the replies, I'm having issues finding headers for the malibu g-body ls conversion. Does anyone have a solution for the headers? Part numbers manufacturers? Again thanks

Quick Reply: Some suggestions please! 1980 malibu