Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 1970 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 1970 Chevelle

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1970 chevelle and I recently acquired a LS1 and a t-56 out of a camaro z28. My question is am I going to have to move the LS1 back or forward with the motor mounts? I'm sure I can easily mock something up and place the body back onto the car but I am trying to see if anyone has information before I do more manual labor. Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is currently 5-7 Chevelle builds in the Conversion/Hybrid section. Time to start doing homework.

Some people use setbacks, some people don't, I used setbacks and some people that haven't had other issues then me. A SBC is 1in longer in the rear then a LS1 (lip on the back of the block) and if you use 1in setback it keeps the crossmember from being have to be moved as well as any other alignment issues you may have with the front of the motor.

Unless you buy a bolt in motor mount kit from BRP or something I wouldn't do any fabrication till the body is on the car as you may need to work the firewall or floor and its better to know with the body on then when your trying to set the body down on the frame.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 1970 Chevelle