Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beating a dead horse but why not

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beating a dead horse but why not

Ok I understand this topic has been beat to death but nothing ever comes of it because people just run away when they find its not a straight bolt in swap.

im wanting to know what it takes to swap an lsx into a 2005 I6 trailblazer. Yes I know the wiring and all that. That isnt the problem I have an ls1 just needs a home, and getting a trans and ecm and wiring is not a problem either just have to make a phone call. Tune and exhaust is a one stop shop. I dont feel like spending 20 grand on a tbss when I can buy a I6 for 6 grand and put the motor I already have in it.

So outside of a trans crossmember and motor mounts what is needed? I have heard the frames are different but have also heard they are the same and it can be down with custom mounts. The trans crossmember needs to be moved which is fine. What else?

I dont understand why it is made out to be such a bad swap if you already have the part readily available.

Any insight or if someone has or tried and there is something I am missing please let me know. Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Well, if you are going to mod a regular trailblazer, why not start with a V8 model, GM put 5.3L into non-TBSS's
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say the answer to that would be cost. V8 models of stuff is usually more than the I6 I5 or V6 model of the same vehicle.

I don't think, unless they were built in different plants, that the frame would be different for 6 to 8 cylinder vehicles. Best way to find out on that would be to go to the chevy dealer and talk to the service department mechanics. If anyone could tell you if they were different or not, it would be them for sure.

I would say you are in the same boat as anyone who is attempting a swap into any vehicle they are unfamiliar with. Grab one and start wrenching. Figure out the problems as you go, and document them as best as you can for others to learn from.

I know, easy to say from WAY over here on the other side of your monitor, but it is true...

Best of luck to you and if you are real brave, grab one that is AWD and make a track ripper out of it!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
Well, if you are going to mod a regular trailblazer, why not start with a V8 model, GM put 5.3L into non-TBSS's
Those are far and few between. I havent seen one for sale let alone in person. All that are around me are either a I6 or ss. But I would like to go that route if I could find one for the same price.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Trailblazer-LT-2008-chevrolet-trailblazer-lt-4-x-4-newer-5-3-v-8-many-extras-below-kbb-/121225624265?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c399c3ac9&item=121225624265&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the plan was to make it awd. 4x4 I6's are everywhere and cheap. So if using the harness from the donor motor is the hardest hurdle then I dont see why it is such a hard concept.

A awd lsx trailblazer would be a hell of a sleeper and I feel would be an awesome daily

and at a price tag of 14k I dont see the value over doing it myself. When I have the motor. And a trans and all the rest will cost me a few grand.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

That one I posted up on ebay beats you to all the tough stuff. Just plop in your LS1 and tune it and you are all set to stomp on some ricers...

And I believe, if you read all the way through, you could probably get it for less than buy it now, I would guess for around 12 or maybe less if cash in hand type of deal.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Which I dont have tho. And thats still twice what an I6 runs but at the same time if I had a 5.3 one I wouldnt need to swap the motor lol. Just put a better trans and rear in it pop on a turbo and let it eat.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear ya
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Well I did a bit of searching. Turns out you need the full wiring harness, transmission, V8 crossmember, and rear axle to convert to a V8

I found a 2004 V8 TB AWD for $4500 on my local cl, high miles but clean, always dealer serviced. Clean I6 TB were going for $3k to $5k in the same year range. Seems to me you would money and time ahead by just seeking out a decent V8 Trailblazer. Then you could just turbo the stock engine and sell your LS1 for mod money or whatever you wanna do.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will start the bidding on your LS1..
Attached Thumbnails beating a dead horse but why not-img_20131202_180140_852.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
Well I did a bit of searching. Turns out you need the full wiring harness, transmission, V8 crossmember, and rear axle to convert to a V8

I found a 2004 V8 TB AWD for $4500 on my local cl, high miles but clean, always dealer serviced. Clean I6 TB were going for $3k to $5k in the same year range. Seems to me you would money and time ahead by just seeking out a decent V8 Trailblazer. Then you could just turbo the stock engine and sell your LS1 for mod money or whatever you wanna do.
Where the hell did you search??? I have searched like crazy and couldnt find anything other then dead threads or people saying not to and just sell it for a tbss... and ill keep l9oking and if nothing else just blaze a trail no pun and do it and see what happens
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I googled "trailblazer V8 Swap". Also found these near you:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4200269411.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4200422943.html

You may be able to talk that second guy down, thats a lot of miles! Who's he kidding?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Its because its tulsa... they think there ***** gold. But I like how 18-20mph is a pro haha probably suppose to say "mpg" but still funny
Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

For the record, the 5.3L was only available in the extended versions of the TB, Envoy, and Buick clones. If you want a standard wheelbase version, the only option was the SS.

Personally, I see this as a complete waste of time and money. But good luck with the project.

Andrew
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Personally, I see this as a complete waste of time and money.

Step down and think for a second....

What IF no one ever bothered to TRY putting a V8 into something like a rail car? What IF the guy who invented nitro-methane NEVER used it in an engine?

What would we have today? let me guess at it here....... NO HOT RODS!! NO DRAG RACING!!

See my point? If the guy is willing to spend his time and money to forge a path that others can follow, I will stand behind him (but not close enough to smell a fart) and support his efforts. Not very many supported my efforts on my S-10 build and because of a chosen few who were both learning from my mistakes and taking ideas of mine and putting them to use on their projects, I kept going.

Stop trying to beat people down when they are the one's doing the trying. His project may turn out to be better than the SS.. If so then what? OTHERS WILL DO IT TOO!! That is where inspiration comes from...

OK? ENCOURAGE, NOT DISCOURAGE!!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455

Step down and think for a second....

What IF no one ever bothered to TRY putting a V8 into something like a rail car? What IF the guy who invented nitro-methane NEVER used it in an engine?

What would we have today? let me guess at it here....... NO HOT RODS!! NO DRAG RACING!!

See my point? If the guy is willing to spend his time and money to forge a path that others can follow, I will stand behind him (but not close enough to smell a fart) and support his efforts. Not very many supported my efforts on my S-10 build and because of a chosen few who were both learning from my mistakes and taking ideas of mine and putting them to use on their projects, I kept going.

Stop trying to beat people down when they are the one's doing the trying. His project may turn out to be better than the SS.. If so then what? OTHERS WILL DO IT TOO!! That is where inspiration comes from...

OK? ENCOURAGE, NOT DISCOURAGE!!
Dude….

How about you step down off your soapbox.

I said "personally" this project is a waste of time. This mens that TO ME it is not worth doing. I also wished him good luck on the project, which was not in the least bit sarcastic.

As for your analogies about putting LS engines into various cars and the use of nitro, those don't apply here. This project is not pioneering in any way, but is merely creating a duplicate of a vehicle that already exists. Believe me, GM does a way better job of engineering a package than any of us backyard mechanics ever hope to. The TBSS is not just a regular TB with a LS2 engine. It has upgraded suspension, different springs, shocks, and different rear end. It also came with a 4L70 trans.

Like I said, good luck with the project and it is still a waste of money and time….TO ME…

Andrew
Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Opinions have been stated, if he is willing to do it.. lets just watch and see.. If he needs support or has question.. Like all of us here on LS1tech.. we will provide input and support (and opinions as usual).

But if he needs anything in support.. A Factory Service Manual to do the swap will give him everything he needs without asking.

If I can help answer anything, I will.. but like Andrew.. I am not sure this is really a good idea of time well spent. At most, after considering all of the personal time and labor put into this swap.. it may only save a few hard earn bucks in the long run.

And if he doesn't do a complete swap of all noted equipement (suspension, drive train, etc).. it will never be as good as a Factory one. And only be better than a I5/I6/V6 in power only... not over all performance.

So.. this one is beaten enough !.. let's just see if he takes it on and follow along..

BC
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Lol In my search I came across a youtube vid of a guy who slapped a carb'd 350 and TH350 in a I6 04 Trailblazer. Anything is possible...If you don't have to pass emissions or OBD2 plug in inspection in your area, go for it.

I wouldn't spend too much on a TB to swap however...seems to me there are plenty of blown up I6 TB out there.

BTW, there is a short wheel base TB V8 that isn't an SS, it's just not a Chevy or GMC either.....

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4197302393.html

I gotta tell ya, looks pretty good too and with a big turbo, will rival the SS in power and luxury.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
For the record, the 5.3L was only available in the extended versions of the TB, Envoy, and Buick clones. If you want a standard wheelbase version, the only option was the SS.
Wrong!

My mother drives a standard wheel base(113") '04 Rainier 5.3L AWD. In fact, I don't think Buick even offered the extended version.

The early, non-ls2 Saab 9-7x's where also AWD 5.3's in standard wheel base.

I believe the '05+ Envoys where also available with a 5.3 and standard wheel base.

Quick Reply: beating a dead horse but why not