Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
truck intake was way too tall without a scoop or something. My intake came from ebay- like 300 i believe. Rails are totally different. Havent worked on the car but i did finish up a mustang power wheels build for my daughter.....
Sweet! Thanks for lookin out man... Keep up the good work, Ill be following!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Bought an Atlas two post lift saturday at Gary Smith up in Indy. Looks great and hopefully i can get it up this week. Should make working on such a large project alittle easier.

on a side note- bought a LS1 clutch kit with flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/hydraulic TOB- the included pilot bearing is too small- i know there is a large and a small- which pilot bearing should i use for my LY6?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Bought an Atlas two post lift saturday at Gary Smith up in Indy. Looks great and hopefully i can get it up this week. Should make working on such a large project alittle easier.

on a side note- bought a LS1 clutch kit with flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/hydraulic TOB- the included pilot bearing is too small- i know there is a large and a small- which pilot bearing should i use for my LY6?
Pilot bearing depends on what transmission your using.

Andrew
Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 AM
On The Tree

im using a t56 from an Aston Martin- basically a camaro/firebird trans with a different tailshaft and sixth gear.

Got my new ridetech rear coilovers in the mail the other day with my flaming river tilt column. Spent last night installing this bad boy in the shop- Atlas 9ton two post lift! Still need to modify one or two trusses to clear the car but ive got some people on that figuring out what we can do.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0034.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Nice! I passed on the same idea because of low trusses, because I didn't want the trouble or expense of the re-work.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

i have a friend of a friend that works on truss design etc -structural engineer- i sent him all the details and he is working on a solution. Worst comes to worst i'll put some pillars up to hold the roof but i think we can fab something. Really just need to mod one or two beams but i dont want my roof or walls to collapse.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Considering the strength and design of that lift, you could probably use it as part of the load bearing columns. I bet the entire roof would end up stronger. Of course, it would require more work later, if you move and take it w/ you. Eh... your friend will figure something out in a hurry for that. Looking at it, I'm not sure it will even be expensive.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

well between the truss engineer and my neighbor who works for a truss company, i think we figured out what to do- tomorrow off to Lowes to get some big bolts and a new saws all blade.... Meanwhile, new front swaybar for the stang showed up.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

cut the truss sunday after bolting my large 4x8's in place and now i can lift a 944 all the way up- probably have to modify the next truss forward to clear my mustang but that is in the works. Meanwhile still collecting parts- i did find out this though..

my hydraulic slave with my ls1 kit will not bolt right into the front of my Aston Martin (DB7?) t56 trans- the bolts appear to be in the wrong position. I looked up an Aston clutch kit and it may have an adapter but not sure why. Also need to find the right pilot bearing for my ly6 truck motor- much bigger than the small bearing that came with my kit.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0047.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Sheerly based on curiosity: There are bearings listed all over the web, but maybe just calling a dealership parts guy could get you a quick and correct answer. It may be that you can use the factory piece they used for the automatic... I know, doesn't sound right, but sometimes we find oddball stuff like this works when we least suspect it.

Have you measured the body height on both cars? The Mustang surely sits higher, but I kinda wonder if the body will be so much higher it won't work now, like the 944. If you're gonna put a pickup on there at any point, well... cut it up now.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

its not the roof clearance that will get me, its the next truss up at the nose of the car. The 944 sits just below that truss when all the way up- like 6" away- but the nose of the mustang goes straight out- not sloped, and its longer. I have the stuff here to cut the next truss out- just need to do it. Been busy putting up insulation, plywood and posters! BTW- anyone need some old '99 or so firebird promotional posters? Dad worked at pontiac.

Im just going to put the trans on the motor next time i get a chance- its been on before- and start measuring. If the slave needs spaced we can make an adapter and turn it at that time.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0047.jpg   64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_1507.jpg   64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_1509.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

You'll want more clearance up top for sure. Why did you get the A.M. Tremec instead of a GM version? You probably said already and I'd guess it was either already laying around or really ... free. You're definitely making changes to use it, but it's probably easier than selling it.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Just went thru this whole thread awesome build. Did you add subframe connectors yet? Will this car get a cage to further stiffen it up?
Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

car has subframe connectors welded in- you can see them in my floorpan pics- and i also added the torque boxes- triangulated boxes at the front of each rocker panel- thats what ford did in later years to keep the cars from twisting. Im also kicking around at least a rear hoop and down bars but maybe some forward bars as well- not a full cage though.

The Aston Martin trans was from a friends brother in law who is a teacher up at a technical college up in middle ohio- fabricator. He had it for a 240 swap and found an fbody trans and liked the shifter position better for that car. He sold me the trans and chev. bellhousing for $800 basically. After looking at everything today, it looks like the front imput shaft is longer than a normal LS1 trans, but the front adapter/midplate is also about an inch longer. The space from the front of the bellhousing to the end of the shaft is the same as a normal trans, but there is more space where the slave cylinder should land. The stock clutch in the Aston was a big dual disc unit so they prob. made room for that. If i can have an adapter machined up, then i can cure the bolt clocking issue and space the adapter forward- about an inch- to line up with the LS1 style clutch components. Other wise, everything is the same-ish- 4-5-6 gears are slightly taller and output is dodge 30 spline like a viper so hopefully fitting my driveshaft isnt too bad.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0061.jpg   64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0062.jpg  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

so anyone know what pilot bearing i need for an ly6 with a t56?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

car is moved over onto the lift! hope to get this thing rolling soon. Ordered some lower coilover mounts and i can put some wheels on the back. Need to finish the body work under the hood before i can bolt the front all back in.

I did have a buddy come over and take measurements for the small spacer i need to space the hydraulic slave forward where i need it. Anyone have any ideas how much travel a stock slave needs to disengage a clutch? The Aston trans is slightly longer in the bellhousing so i have to space the slave assy. forward to touch the clutch pressure plate.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0092.jpg   64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0093.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

wow used to be much more helpful around here. Well anyways i found a site with some instructions on measuring TO bearing spacing so i'll post the picture of the diagram. Just received my ARP clutch bolts so i can remeasure everything to make sure the spacer is correct.
Attached Thumbnails 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-img_0096.jpg   64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6-hydtobearingspacing.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

finally was able to figure out which bearing i needed for the pilot- looks like a gm # 12557583 bearing works after much searching. Ordered that from JEGS so should be here monday or tuesday.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you sure that you need the larger Corvette bearing?

Andrew
Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

my kit came with the small bearing- which fits in the center pretty far back in there- but the outer hole is much bigger. Looked up some LY6 installs and found this to be the bearing they have used.

Quick Reply: 64.5 Mustang conversion to 6.0 LY6