Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap drive by wire issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap drive by wire issue

So I finally got my junkyard 5.3 running but the throttle is not responding when I depress the pedal. When I pulled the motor from a 2002 Suburban the throttle body was missing so I got a 1 connector replacement from another engine. The original throttle body was a 2 connector style but I figured the 1 connector would work if I just spliced the 1 connector plug onto the harness. When it powers up it cycles and opens the blade a little for idle. I can start and run the motor but it won't responded to pedal movement and the ECU is throwing a P0122 code. Was I completely wrong in thinking that I can use the 1 connector TB in place of the 2 connector TB? I'm using the original TAC module that came with the motor.

Also, if I put power to the motor and the TB cycles should it respond to pedal movement if the engine is not running?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You will need to get the proper two connector throttle body that matches your PCM's OS, TAC module and pedal.

I'm not saying there isn't a way to make what you have work but the least dramatic (and expensive) way is to get matched parts all from the same vehicle or another just like it (same year, model and options).
Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ill second that comment from gofast. Be sure all your connections are nice and snug. Do the wiggle test at tb, pedal, tac, etc...I had the same issue and kept popping codes and realized I rewired 2 wires backwards.Be sure the pcm is tuned for the correct tb also I.e. one connector vs 2. To be honest I would look for the tac and pedal assembly for the 02 suburban.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Teching In

i have the DRW connector, uncut from the pcm mine came from a 2004 tahoe 5.3 pcm was a 511
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fire67bird
Also, if I put power to the motor and the TB cycles should it respond to pedal movement if the engine is not running?
Once all the signals like talking to each other, you should be able to go key on and work the throttle.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bdr66
Once all the signals like talking to each other, you should be able to go key on and work the throttle.
Provided you have the correct parts, like matching TAC, pedal, throttle body and tune. The OP doesn't have the right throttle body, so without some extremely good tuning, it's not going to work.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap drive by wire issue