Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How top clean up wiring behind head and intake, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How top clean up wiring behind head and intake, few questions

Hey Guys, I am working on finishing up the wiring of my 5.3 engine and had some questions:

First off, I'm not concerned about hiding the wiring on my engine, it's a functional car and I want it to look stockish anyways.

But I was wondering what you guys are doing about the wiring behind the heads and intake? I have all my wiring in split loom of various sizes and it's laying on the bell housing right now, between the heads and firewall.

I don't really like the way this is and I think I am going to remove all of the smaller split looms and put the wiring in one larger piece and then support it somehow.

I Think I have seen factory engines with some sort of large clamp holding the harness in place behind the engine by attaching the clamps to the back of the heads. Any ideas on this? Kind of like this TPI engine

Kind of hard to see from the pics, but behind the head there is 4-5 separate split loom pieces...basically looks like dreadlocks...I want to tighten it up a bit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other questions is how is the wiring ran to the injectors and coils on a factory LS1 engine? Is it just wrapped with loom tape?

I put mine in split loom and it's really bulky and wanted a better way to clean all this up. Could someone take a picture of this area on their stock LS1 engine so I can see what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

There really aren't that many wires that run behind the heads, and what wires there are wouldn't be hurt by laying on the bellhousing of the transmission. But if you wanted to clean it up, you could always get some Adel clamps and bolt them to any unused holes in the back of the heads.

As for the injector wiring, the factory just put them in split loom clamped to the fuel rail.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the pic on the coil/injector wiring. That helps a lot.

I Think one of my biggest issues is that I really need to shorten several wires to eliminate some of the clutter. My harness is from a 2004 sierra truck

I just want it to be manageable and "look" like a factory install in my 71 Camaro.

Quick Reply: How top clean up wiring behind head and intake, few questions