Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 swapped into chevy ii + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 swapped into chevy ii + turbo

Hey guys new to ls stuff so please bare with me.

I have a 2001 chevy pick up. I want to try and use as much a I can out of the donor truck. Thing is I spoke to the tuner that will be tuning the car when finished. He highly recommended going to a more tunable system like the holley dominator. My question is if I go this route can I still use all the stock components from the truck? Ie gauge cluster,steering colum, switches, AC, etc, etc.?

The tuner said using the stock ECU is defiantly doable just requires more dyno time to get it right and I guess its not as tuner friendly?

I would like to use the stock ecm but if I do I'd like to clean up the wiring in the engine bay ie big clunky stuff like relay box and stuff like that. Is it possible to use a conversion harness, stock ecu and all the component listed above??

Knowing what I want to do what direction would you guys go?

Last edited by Prostcelica; 02-25-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

stock ecm with either reworked factory harness or aftermarket standalone and vintage air.

You will get Tach and speedo from ecm. Oil pressure will come from the BCM IIRC...which is probably going to be a pain to make work.

The factory A/c would also be very hard to make work. The evaporator is so big I'm not sure how it would fit. Also I think it is expansion valve instead of orifice tube...which nobody in the aftermarket really messes with. Vintage air uses fixed displacement compressors with orifice tubes...

anything is 'possible' it just depends how much grief you want to go through to make it all work.

edit- your stock ECU should be a 0411...which with a custom operating system can handle boost with ease. Your tuner should know this or you may need a new tuner.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cajundragger
stock ecm with either reworked factory harness or aftermarket standalone and vintage air.

You will get Tach and speedo from ecm. Oil pressure will come from the BCM IIRC...which is probably going to be a pain to make work.

The factory A/c would also be very hard to make work. The evaporator is so big I'm not sure how it would fit. Also I think it is expansion valve instead of orifice tube...which nobody in the aftermarket really messes with. Vintage air uses fixed displacement compressors with orifice tubes...

anything is 'possible' it just depends how much grief you want to go through to make it all work.

edit- your stock ECU should be a 0411...which with a custom operating system can handle boost with ease. Your tuner should know this or you may need a new tuner.
Thank you for the great Info. The tuner said no problem tuning the stock ECM for boost but he was just really pushing the dominator system (prob cause its not his 3k lol). When you say "custom operating system" you mean a program like HPtuner right?

Also is there any sensors ill have to add or change before I head off to the dyno for them to be able to tune it?? I've read about changing to speed density or changing the map to a 2 or 3 bar etc etc. forgive my greenness just trying to learn. Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

no you need a custom operating system to allow for a 2 or 3 bar map. It different than just a tune.

You have code and data in a ecu. A tune just changes the data(maps). The code is the operating system(what to do with the maps).

the only thing you need to do is get the correct 3 bar MAP and ditch the MAF.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cajundragger
no you need a custom operating system to allow for a 2 or 3 bar map. It different than just a tune.

You have code and data in a ecu. A tune just changes the data(maps). The code is the operating system(what to do with the maps).

the only thing you need to do is get the correct 3 bar MAP and ditch the MAF.
Ok, so how does one go about getting a custom operating system?

When you say ditch the MAF, do you mean remove the existing MAF sensor from the engine and replace it with a 3 bar MAP??

Last edited by Prostcelica; 02-26-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Launching!

If your tuner has HPTuners or EFI live he can install whatever operating system you want. It just cost like 2 more credits I think. The MAF can be used to around 500hp and below.
Also if you remove the MAF, you will have to add a IAT sensor I think. If I remember correctly the MAF has this built in. Either way you'll still have to get a new IAT that can screw into your charge pipe if deleting MAF. You can go to lt1swap.com for wiring harness info... figure out what you want to keep and whatnot. If trying to use the gauges from the donor truck, you may have to keep the bcm for all to work.. I chose to use www.speedhut.com for my gauges. Well 3 of them. The rest I used glowshift. Also you should get a wideband, maybe 2 for a twin setup.
I would say keep the factory ecm since it can control the 4l60-80e transmissions. I don't think the dominator can do that, you would have to get a transmission controller and that would be more money. Buy HpTuners or EFI live and you can change data in the ecm whenever you want. Change heads, intake, turbo, etc. retune it yourself.
I think that Mega-Squirt is going to have a ecm that will control the engine and transmission fairly soon. I've heard it is a really great ecm that is far superior to the factory ecm.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam123
If your tuner has HPTuners or EFI live he can install whatever operating system you want. It just cost like 2 more credits I think. The MAF can be used to around 500hp and below.
Also if you remove the MAF, you will have to add a IAT sensor I think. If I remember correctly the MAF has this built in. Either way you'll still have to get a new IAT that can screw into your charge pipe if deleting MAF. You can go to lt1swap.com for wiring harness info... figure out what you want to keep and whatnot. If trying to use the gauges from the donor truck, you may have to keep the bcm for all to work.. I chose to use www.speedhut.com for my gauges. Well 3 of them. The rest I used glowshift. Also you should get a wideband, maybe 2 for a twin setup.
I would say keep the factory ecm since it can control the 4l60-80e transmissions. I don't think the dominator can do that, you would have to get a transmission controller and that would be more money. Buy HpTuners or EFI live and you can change data in the ecm whenever you want. Change heads, intake, turbo, etc. retune it yourself.
I think that Mega-Squirt is going to have a ecm that will control the engine and transmission fairly soon. I've heard it is a really great ecm that is far superior to the factory ecm.
This is a grey forum!! I've only been a member for not even a week and have already learned a ton. I think I'm going to try and use the stock ECU. I also really want to try an use as much as possible from the donor truck ie colum, gauge cluster, wiper motor, etc, etc. I would like to use as much Of the harness as well and remove all the un- needed stuff ie abs, air bag, anti lock brake, etc, etc. and whatever else (I'm sure there is lots).
My donor truck is coming this weekend. Going to get it all pulled apart a see what I have.

More questions to follow lol.....again thx for all your help.

Quick Reply: 4.8 swapped into chevy ii + turbo