Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge help

OK guys I installed an ls-1 engine in my 51 Chevy pickup. The truck is running and I have went as far as around the block. I purchased a stand alone harness from one of the sellers it works good as far as I know. My issue is that i won't drive the truck until the gauges are working at least oil pressure and engine temp. I purchased the classic instr. gauges and the only thing that is close to working is the gas gauge.I have the stock senders in the ls-1 from an 04 Tahoe. For the oil pressure I would like to get an adapter (don't want to drill and tap anything) and install it on the back of the block where original is. second the sender that they sent for the water temp is completely different from the one that goes into the side of the block like mine(ect). Is there a 3 prong change out for this so I can just change the stock one for the one needed? I purchased a cheap multimeter to check input to the gauges and I currently get nothing except the gas gauge.
Oh yes all wiring grounds etc... has been checked
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't pull out the pigtail at the front of the head on the driver's side. Leave that plugged in because that's what your computer uses to see what temp you're running. There is another spot at the back of the passenger head that has a plug in it. Take the plug out and put your gauge sender there.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Oil Pressure
Auto Meter 2268 LS Series Oil Pressure Sender Adapter

Coolant
Auto Meter 2277 LS1 Water Temperature Sender Adapter
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could get both for less than the price of one AM adapter
http://www.equus.com/Product/9848
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superdave84
Don't pull out the pigtail at the front of the head on the driver's side. Leave that plugged in because that's what your computer uses to see what temp you're running. There is another spot at the back of the passenger head that has a plug in it. Take the plug out and put your gauge sender there.
Do you have a picture ? Can this be done with motor in? I can not see the back of my head, but I did see a big Allen bolt on the side near the rear of the head. please excuse my ignorance but i know nothing about motors.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 51 chevy
Do you have a picture ? Can this be done with motor in? I can not see the back of my head,but I did see a big Allen bolt on the side near the rear of the head. please excuse my ignorance but i know nothing about motors.
Buy the gauge adapter kit that 69ghost linked, it makes life much easier. I am using all autometer gauges and bought that equis kit (prob the same one linked) and it included the adapter for the autometer sender to go where the stock oil sender went on the back of the block, and the adapter for the water temp sender to go in the passenger head. All of these senders can be put in and taken out with the motor in the car. The allen plug you see is the one superdave was referring to, its at the back of the side of the head. All really simple to access. As for the grounds on all of my autometer senders they were ground through the sender itself. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bought mine through Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3-LS7-LSX-Oil-PRessure-Coolant-Temp-Gauge-Fitting-Adapters-PAIR-/161279747237?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258d05a4a5&vxp=mtr
As stated, there is a necessary water temp sender for the ECM but the opposite head has the same thread plugged. I used that for the water temp sensor.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff17
Buy the gauge adapter kit that 69ghost linked, it makes life much easier. I am using all autometer gauges and bought that equis kit (prob the same one linked) and it included the adapter for the autometer sender to go where the stock oil sender went on the back of the block, and the adapter for the water temp sender to go in the passenger head. All of these senders can be put in and taken out with the motor in the car. The allen plug you see is the one superdave was referring to, its at the back of the side of the head. All really simple to access. As for the grounds on all of my autometer senders they were ground through the sender itself. Hope this helps.
Correct. I mean the rear SIDE of the head, not the back of it near the firewall. Looks for it near where the header bolts to, near the back
Old 04-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome guy's thanks I ordered the equus set,(be here Monday). Also Superdave thanks for the info, just wanted to be sure. The gauges and the fan is one of the last things to keep me off the block !!!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

O.K. this is causing way more issues than nec.. I ordered the eqqquis (sp) adapter set, the oil pressure switch was a perfect fit. The temp switch that came with the classic instr. gauges has a size that is about twice that of anything in the package. So here is my question or suggestion? I saw a youtube video of a guy changing out the temp sensor from a 2 prong to a 3 prong which has the temp gauge read out for the 3rd pin. I was thinking get that sender and put it on the opposite side and just using the 3rd pin for the gauges? or just replace the original one with the 3 pin and use the 3rd pin for the gauges? just did not want to bother the one going to the ECU. thoughts ,suggestions ??
Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM

I have the 99 camaro-firebird 3 wire autozone sender on my 5.3 80 malibu ,it is eazy to wire and to reach.much better than the drilled pass.side 5.3 s10 swap. Chuck ls4 s10 and ls4 malibu on utube
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to see if they have it!!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 51 chevy
I'm going to see if they have it!!
Im at autozone just left oriellys both show 2 prong for 99 camaro and transam!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Orielly's part number WT 5121 !!!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you are looking for the 98 sensor. Also the autometer temp sensors work with the adapters.....
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I believe you are looking for the 98 sensor. Also the autometer temp sensors work with the adapters.....
98 and 99 showed 2 prong, found the correct one (see Orielly part number above), unfortunately I don't have autometer I have classic instrument.
Why don't they just make all the DAMN things universal !!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I went through the same issue. My 68 vette temp sender was 1/2" NPT. I definitely did not want to drill the head that large. There's a threaded brass block plug on the drivers side of the motor. It's perfect for tapping 1/2" NPT.
If you want to keep the 98 Camaro 3 wire sender, you can correct it somewhat. You'll need to know the temp/resistance for your gauge.
The resistance/temp for the 98 is listed here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...auge-59-a.html

Quick Reply: Gauge help