Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance

Hey guys, I'm in the process of finishing up on my first LS swap. I put an L92 (DOD removed) and a 6L90E transmission in my 67 Camaro. I'm running 17" wheels with 25" tall tires and I have about 3 3/4" of clearance from the trans oil pan and the header collector to the ground. I'm not sure if that is normal for what most guys are seeing. I didn't cut my trans tunnel so I may need to look at doing that and raising the engine and trans up an inch or so. Any ideas on the best way to do that without taking everything back out?

Does anyone know if there is a shallow pan for the 6L90e transmission available?

Please post any pics you have of your conversions and ground clearance you have. If you can tell me the engine mounts and headers that would be great too.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance-mission-20140504-00165.jpg   LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance-mission-20140504-00164.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

What pans (engine oil & transmission) are you using? What headers? Yours look to hang lower than most.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
What pans (engine oil & transmission) are you using? What headers? Yours look to hang lower than most.
I am using the stock truck pan on the transmission, currently looking at changing it out for a ZL1 or CTS-V pan to get me some more clearance there. Oil pan is the GM Muscle car pan. I am using Dynatech headers and Trans Dapt mounts.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can cut the current oil pan you have and modify the pick up tube. Or switch to the new Holley 302-2 oil pan and make it as a 123 install.

The Dynatech headers are meant to be used with the Detroit Speed mounts.

There is also a ton of threads regarding about oil pans and headers.

Last edited by Sebtarta; 05-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
You can cut the current oil pan you have and modify the pick up tube. Or switch to the new Holley 302-2 oil pan and make it as a 123 install.

The Dynatech headers are meant to be used with the Detroit Speed mounts.

There is also a ton of threads regarding about oil pans and headers.
I will take a look at the new Holley pan and the DSE mounts look very similar if not the same dimensionally to the Trans Dapt mounts I have.
Attached Thumbnails LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance-mission-20140504-00162.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Does anyone know if there is a shallow pan for the 6L90e transmission available?"

The ones I have seen were home made. They took two G8 6L80 oil pans and made one out of them. They were cut and welded back together to get the length needed.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"Does anyone know if there is a shallow pan for the 6L90e transmission available?"

The ones I have seen were home made. They took two G8 6L80 oil pans and made one out of them. They were cut and welded back together to get the length needed.
Looks like the CTS-V pan may be about an inch shorter (more shallow) than the truck pan I have now so I will probably try it. Still checking to see what the dimensions are on the ZL1 transmission.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to raise the rear trans mount as high as you can I am running a 4l70 with a deep pan. I just changed out the LH8 pan for a regular holley then raised the rear tranny mount putting the tranny as high as it would go in the rear. The clearances looked similar before the change. Afterward it is much better. Sorry but this required pulling the motor and cutting my engine and tranny mount tabs. I am running an early set of BRP mounts. I also moved the motor back just over an inch.
Attached Thumbnails LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance-panclear-1.jpg   LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance-moroein3.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
You may have to raise the rear trans mount as high as you can I am running a 4l70 with a deep pan. I just changed out the LH8 pan for a regular holley then raised the rear tranny mount putting the tranny as high as it would go in the rear. The clearances looked similar before the change. Afterward it is much better. Sorry but this required pulling the motor and cutting my engine and tranny mount tabs. I am running an early set of BRP mounts. I also moved the motor back just over an inch.
Thanks for the info and pics, I was leaning toward the BRP mounts, they appear to put the engine a little higher. I'm definitely going to have to switch to the Holley pan as well....looks like everything is coming out again. lol I may need to cut my trans tunnel too since the 6L90E is so wide at the top. Grrrrr.....
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
What headers are you running? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running Kooks TBSS headers. They clear everything fine but come out a bit wide -close to the frame. Since I redid the motor and trans mounts they are tucked in pretty good. The mufflers are lower than the headers now. Also a tidbit. A second gen driveshaft is 1 inch shorter than a first gen. This allowed me to push the motor back just over an inch. The limiting factor was the cutout for the A/C compressor. Somebody was selling a set on the classifieds a few months back if you are interested.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

looks good
Old 05-08-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Consider also the pan from Autokraft. Here is some info from my build thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/14288629-post89.html

Quick Reply: LS swap in GEN 1 Camaro- ground clearance