Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Camaro LSA/TR6060 '13 ZL1 interior retro-fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Your craftsmanship oozes excellence. Cannot wait to see it finished.
Thanks David. Me too!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

This build is awesome, Nice work!!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
This build is awesome, Nice work!!
I like your ideal did you swap in the abs and traction control too?
That might be my next project...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Unbelievable build, great concept and execution. Looking forward to more progress pics.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Guys. ABS and Traction control components are wired in, however rear speed sensor design on the 9" and calibration of the EBCM for "our" 1st gen variables are problematic inhibitors to those capabilities. We are loosely moving on those capabilities. Only time will tell what advancement might come from benchwork/development that has barely started on the various modules involved in this whole project. We started with a strategy and workable solutions to defeat the unwanted effects of messages/responses, that some modules will inject onto the CAN busses, when their subordinate sub-systems are not healthy or missing, but would like to end with fully functioning healthy systems. As many know, the programing of body/safety control systems is a black art...for good reason....LOL, and GM Global A Security Architecture adds another layer of complexity to the whole objective, as certain modules must be in place to satisfy anti-theft functions (which we are keeping). Its a delicate balancing act between properly functioning systems and their own (self-defeating) protection mechanisms. Make sense?

Mag-ride was taken off the table from the start, as no suitable mag-coilover component was available OEM or aftermarket. We have seen some various approaches to the rear speed sensors on a 9" and are open to any suggestions by anyone that been successful in that area. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Why r u using a 9" instead of the irs from the Camaro that would give you better handling and would allow you to use the speed sensors from your doner car
Old 11-21-2015, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls3xlr
Why r u using a 9" instead of the irs from the Camaro that would give you better handling and would allow you to use the speed sensors from your doner car
The whole reared and suspension was purchased before the great idea of this upgrade project. The donor car front and rear suspension and cradles were long gone when we got it.. believe me..we've thought about that hard...and scour CL everyday for a rear cradle deal that forces us to reconsider. however speed sensors could be had for a lot less work than re-engineering oem or purchase aftermarket IRS. EBCM recalibration its the biggest inhibitor. what good is enabling that capability if it doesn't work properly and possibly make the car more unsafe. At least thats the reasoning when we fail to deliver..LOL. Budget has to count for something and the car eventually needs to be finished.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Agreed what about f body sensors also if all your native sensor for abs TCS are there the should be no need to recalibrate it
Just shut off the functions you don't want

I just finished a 2007 Cadillac XLR ls swap and had a few wild issues with that one too...
Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Agreed what about f body sensors also if all your native sensor for abs TCS are there the should be no need to recalibrate it
Just shut off the functions you don't want

I just finished a 2007 Cadillac XLR ls swap and had a few wild issues with that one too...
its not so much the ABS and TC that concerns me as it is the ESC that combines the two and more... controlled by the EBCM. I would assume, and based on what I've read that weight, sensor location, CoG, and other parameters play important part in ECS calculations. Are you saying that functions can be "shut off" in an EBCM? That "how to" information is elusive.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Teching In

From what I understand the way the system works as long as your close to the vehicle weight you should be OK ....as far as goes sensor postions and orentiation are the most important part... I know TCS functions can modified with hptuners witch ones I'm not sure...... you could probably use speed sensors from a late model f body with a solid axel

So as long as all the system components are in
It should work just the way it was designed to ...
What issues do u expect to incounter...

Electronic stability control systems, such as GM's StabiliTrak, are becoming increasingly important on today's vehicles. StabiliTrak not only helps to enhance vehicle safety but also increases driver confidence and control.
Electronic Stability Control goes by many names. It's called Active Handling on Corvette and StabiliTrak on most other GM vehicles. In all cases it provides the same benefits.

Key benefits include:
Helping the driver to maintain control of the vehicle during certain low traction driving conditions such as ice, snow, gravel, wet pavement and uneven road surfaces
Helping the driver to maintain control of the vehicle in emergency lane changes or avoidance maneuvers
Helping the driver to avoid collisions
Helping automatically — no driver action to activate the system is required

The StabiliTrak system works by recognizing the start of an understeer or oversteer condition. Sensors detect the difference between the direction the driver is actually turning and the vehicle's response by "reading" the steering wheel position, the amount of sideways force in place, vehicle speed and how the vehicle is turning.

When necessary, the system automatically applies precise amounts of brake pressure at individual wheels and reduces the engine torque to help the driver keep the vehicle on track. These brake and engine interventions help realign the vehicle's path with that being steered by the driver
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

From what I understand the way the system works as long as your close to the vehicle weight you should be OK ....as far as goes sensor postions and orentiation are the most important part... I know TCS functions can modified with hptuners witch ones I'm not sure...... you could probably use speed sensors from a late model f body with a solid axel

So as long as all the system components are in
It should work just the way it was designed to ...
What issues do u expect to incounter...

Electronic stability control systems, such as GM's StabiliTrak, are becoming increasingly important on today's vehicles. StabiliTrak not only helps to enhance vehicle safety but also increases driver confidence and control.
Electronic Stability Control goes by many names. It's called Active Handling on Corvette and StabiliTrak on most other GM vehicles. In all cases it provides the same benefits.

Key benefits include:
Helping the driver to maintain control of the vehicle during certain low traction driving conditions such as ice, snow, gravel, wet pavement and uneven road surfaces
Helping the driver to maintain control of the vehicle in emergency lane changes or avoidance maneuvers
Helping the driver to avoid collisions
Helping automatically — no driver action to activate the system is required

The StabiliTrak system works by recognizing the start of an understeer or oversteer condition. Sensors detect the difference between the direction the driver is actually turning and the vehicle's response by "reading" the steering wheel position, the amount of sideways force in place, vehicle speed and how the vehicle is turning.

When necessary, the system automatically applies precise amounts of brake pressure at individual wheels and reduces the engine torque to help the driver keep the vehicle on track. These brake and engine interventions help realign the vehicle's path with that being steered by the driver
Thanks Ls3xlr. we've seen that as well, factory published weight difference between the two in 1000lbs just using raw unladen numbers. HP tuners can tweak torque management part of the TCS/ESC. We would like to do it, its just not high on the list right now and can be worked out later after all the major work is done. like i said, the wiring and modules are in place, except for the last mile speed sensors.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Default More progress on back seat/package tray fabrication

More progress on back seat/package tray fabrication

Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Dayum. What tools are you using to flange anddimple/bead to sheetmetal? WHat gauge did you use? 18 or 20?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Dayum. What tools are you using to flange anddimple/bead to sheetmetal? WHat gauge did you use? 18 or 20?
I'm limited in tools to a crappy old HF beadroller with limited dies, bag, hammers and dollies, std shrinker stretcher, and a bench top EW. I guess it would be considered old-school...but not by choice. LOL

The main part pictured is 20g and will be backed (for rigidity) by a 16g piece, running the length, with a 1/2 round bead rolled in. both pieces will be spot welded together probably every 2". the latch tension in the seat back is super high, so I'm hoping thats enough to prevent deflection of the lower edge, else i'll box in the whole package tray lower leading edge into the wheel tubs...
Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Default updates

package tray mods complete for 5th gen fold down seat.

foam still needs to be trimmed down, but you get the idea of the direction. the inboard side of the 5th gen interior quarter trim will be used for molding custom 5th gen styled quarter and package tray trim..probably in fiberglass.

Picked up an OEM style cowl hood. cut out the factory cowl plenum for the win on hood fitment. we will open it up a little more to accommodate the plastic engine cover and clean up and add some low profile support structure to tie back the hood inner structure together. were also brainstorming some ideas on unique heat extractors of some kind.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

It just keeps getting better and better !!!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unreal - kudos to you for such great craftsmanship!

Doug
Old 12-15-2015, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Received 107 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nice. I love a build that's heavy on fab work and not all about the engine install. Check out my Econoline build that has a lot of fab too.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DW SD
unreal - kudos to you for such great craftsmanship!

Doug
Thanks guys.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trozfan
Very nice. I love a build that's heavy on fab work and not all about the engine install. Check out my Econoline build that has a lot of fab too.
Trozfan..thanks! I did check out your econoline. Love the direction and use of oem components!

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro LSA/TR6060 '13 ZL1 interior retro-fit