Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Camaro Project

So I recently purchased a 87 Camaro Iroc-z roller, it came with the 305 and the 5 speed. the 305 was removed due to a spun bearing. I plan to swap in a LS1 and a 6 speed t-56 tremec transmission. for the ls1 i have pace setter long tube headers and i would like to use them for this project but after reading online i figured out that they may not fit with out some alterations as well as the oil pan. I also would like to use the stock speedometer and i read that since the ls1 requires a electronic speedometer using a product called " Cable-X " by abbot is a good option for this http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm .Im wondering What exactly would i have to do to make this project work and also what other obstacles am i going to run into along the way? Thanks for reading

Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head over to thirdgen.org. There are hundreds of swaps to go through over there and you should be able to find all the info you are looking for.

I could be wrong but the 87 should have an electronic speedo that you can run through your ecm (maybe the first year was 88...can't remember)
Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I believe 89 or 90 was the first year the camaro used the electronic speedo. He will have to get the signal converter box or run a gauge setup from a 90-92 camaro.

The wiring harness is going to be by far your biggest issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, Dakota Digital also makes a speedo converter.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Teching In

yes you will have to trim crossmember for the oil pan to clear, I think you will be ok with speedo, But its still a great idea to go over to 3rdgen.org thats where I got most of my info.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Camaro Project