Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering hoses

Chevelle with vortec engine, truck PS unit and Jeep GC steering box. Anyone know what hoses I will need for the connection? Will Jeep hoses work?

Thanks
Bob
Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the Jeep hoses to a place that makes power steering hoses. Have them crimp on new fittings that fit onto your GM power steering pump. The finished product will have the original Jeep ends to connect to your Jeep steering box, and GM ends to attach to your GM power steering pump.

Chances are you will only need a fitting pressed on for the pressure hose. The return hose is probably a 3/8" hose and should hook up to the power steering pump reservoir with a hose clamp.

I can't remember what the truck power steering pump looks like, but there might not be enough room to get a hose fitting in there. In the past, I have went out to the parts store and bought a piece of tubing that screws into the power steering pump outlet. I'd bend that to a place where I could get a hose hooked up to it.

This is the steel tubing that works with most GM power steering pumps. It probably works with the truck pump, too. It says it's for fuel so use at your own risk. It's worked fine for me 2 or 3 times.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1650&ppt=C0290 (Advance Auto usually carries these on the shelf. It should come with an O-ring.)

There's a NAPA store in my area that makes hoses. They should be able to help you with the specifics. It's not that bad!

ALSO, there's some good info on my website for PS pumps and hoses. Check out the entries dated September 25, 2010 and January 2, 2011. http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm

Last edited by FastKat; 06-19-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted my manual steering Nova to PS with a truck pump and GC steering pump. I was not able to find a hydro shop (I went to 5!) that had PS ends. But my locally owned Napa was able to provide me with a crimp-on Eaton ferrule & nut option that allowed me to attach the current GM pump end and GC steering gear end to the crimped hose

For the return hose I flared the pump return line and used a hose and clamp.

Check out page 10 of my build thread for more details:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...t-swap-10.html

Hope this helps. You will love the GC steering gear. Nice ratio and good feel.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Jeep box, truck pump, mid 80s G body (monte carl) hi pressure hose, about $12, Dorman universal return, about $10 with low pressure PS hose. Pics in my Olds build thread.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I remember seeing someone post a link that had pre made hoses for LS pumps to Fox body PS racks. I have searched for hours, but I still cant find it.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garys 68
Jeep box, truck pump, mid 80s G body (monte carl) hi pressure hose, about $12, Dorman universal return, about $10 with low pressure PS hose. Pics in my Olds build thread.
Couldn't find your Olds build thread Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Power steering hoses