Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any body off pics of this kit installed so here are some pictures that add a new perspective and may help someone with installation.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Teching In

I haven't seen any body off pics of this kit installed so here are some pictures that add a new perspective and may help someone with installation.
Looks good. What G-body are you building?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CRCRFT78
Looks good. What G-body are you building?
Thanks, 86 Monte SS clone for autocross and road coarse. T56 magnum will replace the 4l80e after the build is done and I save up some more funds.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeDaddy0

Thanks for making the effort to post up your results. I think your photos are very helpful in depicting how far the Hooker system will let you build out your swap in a bolt-in manner...everything looks great.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
They are not at the moment, but will become available in a few months.
Do you expect the MSRP to be in line with the other Hooker stainless mid-length headers?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

So I'm interested in the 12644HKR crossmember. I have a 6L90e transmission which isn't listed as compatible. The 6L90 bellhousing face to mount is about 29" what do you think?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSlick406
So I'm interested in the 12644HKR crossmember. I have a 6L90e transmission which isn't listed as compatible. The 6L90 bellhousing face to mount is about 29" what do you think?
The distance from the bellhousing mating face to the rear mount is in-between that of a T56 and 4L60, which fortunately means you could use the crossmember by making your own cantilevered adapter bracket that bolts to the center of the crossmember. The downsides of the install will be the required floor surgery and the low hanging stock trans oil pan.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Will the hooker mounts work on the gm b bodys, 77-79 ? Looking to swap a 4.8 to a th350
Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fierro51
Will the hooker mounts work on the gm b bodys, 77-79 ? Looking to swap a 4.8 to a th350
I honestly can't say what sort of fitment or interferences you'd end up with in that instance as I've only seen the end results of them being used in a G-body.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

I honestly can't say what sort of fitment or interferences you'd end up with in that instance as I've only seen the end results of them being used in a G-body.
Im in the same boat
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

The distance from the bellhousing mating face to the rear mount is in-between that of a T56 and 4L60, which fortunately means you could use the crossmember by making your own cantilevered adapter bracket that bolts to the center of the crossmember. The downsides of the install will be the required floor surgery and the low hanging stock trans oil pan.
Thanks for the reply. The length should be very similar to the 4L80 but I'm unsure about the mount. Got the floor part covered. Won't be able to slam the suspension. Probably won't hang any lower than the muscle car pan or headers anyway.

Attachment 721351

Attachment 721352
Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Hello,
I have read through all 36 pages of posts and had a few questions that I did not see addressed.
1. I am building a 86 regal T-type swap in the great peoples republic of Maryland..Not as bad as California but close. Since this car will be new on the street, it has to pass emissions when registered. Still researching if the car has to meet the emissions requirements for the engine or body year. From the pictures above it does not appear to leave enough room to install cats in between the headers and the x pipe location. Has anyone else solved/installed cats in the hooker system? Custom exhaust required?
2. Unless I missed it, is anyone using the factory ECM modified by EFI live or do you have to use the aftermarket (Holly, FAST, etc) engine management system?
Thank you for a great site, thread and to Toddoky for the development of the components.
Andy L
Waldorf Md
Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Albj93
Hello,
I have read through all 36 pages of posts and had a few questions that I did not see addressed.
1. I am building a 86 regal T-type swap in the great peoples republic of Maryland..Not as bad as California but close. Since this car will be new on the street, it has to pass emissions when registered. Still researching if the car has to meet the emissions requirements for the engine or body year. From the pictures above it does not appear to leave enough room to install cats in between the headers and the x pipe location. Has anyone else solved/installed cats in the hooker system? Custom exhaust required?
2. Unless I missed it, is anyone using the factory ECM modified by EFI live or do you have to use the aftermarket (Holly, FAST, etc) engine management system?
Thank you for a great site, thread and to Toddoky for the development of the components.
Andy L
Waldorf Md
Hey Andy. You will have to use the stock cats AND manifolds from the donor vehicle, or shorty headers that have received a CARB EO exemption for the donor vehicle application, to be legal in any state that has adopted California emission standards. You also cannot legally swap an engine from a truck application into a car, or vice versa, since they are certified by the OEM to meet different emission standards.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Albj93
Hello,
Andy L
Waldorf Md
Personally, I would only use the stock ECM. Mine is the GMPP harness/PCM, I have done some tuning with it using HPTuners. I know a guy that started with aftermarket harness/ECM (cant remember brand, FAST I think), anyway, he got more HP/TQ from the motor switching to the stock PCM than he did with the aftermarket setup.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Will the alternator with the truck bracket clear a stock 87 cutlass hood?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Dorsey
Will the alternator with the truck bracket clear a stock 87 cutlass hood?
Yes no problem with good body mounts under the radiator support. Note that if you have replaced your factory bushings with the Energy Suspension poly kit you need to add spacers to achieve correct height.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Andy. You will have to use the stock cats AND manifolds from the donor vehicle, or shorty headers that have received a CARB EO exemption for the donor vehicle application, to be legal in any state that has adopted California emission standards. You also cannot legally swap an engine from a truck application into a car, or vice versa, since they are certified by the OEM to meet different emission standards.
The cats need to be as close to the headers as possible or they won't get up to temp; chances are they will perform poor at idle anyway.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Has anyone used a t56 magnum with this kit yet? Looking for placement with stock console.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the complete holley/ hooker swap kit in my cutlass, with the 3in dual exhaust. Recently installed ride tech coil overs. They fit nice, I just had to tweak dr side rear hanger slightly.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

]
Hi Todd, how did you protect your neutral safety switch and transmission range selector cable from the heat? The Hooker long tube headers are within 2 inches of my 4L80E and will not survive without some serious heat shields. I don't see any shielding in your pics.....Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview