Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Camaro LS 5.3 Swap Fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1997 Camaro LS 5.3 Swap Fans not working

I have a 1997 Camaro SS that I finished installing a 01 5.3/4l80e into a few months ago.

I'm still working out a few of the issues with the swap. One of them is the stock 1997 Camaro fans. I read through The_Merv's post on wiring and cant seem to understand why my fans still are not working with my tuning software. I wired the blue H and green J from the factory C100 connector to my aftermarket PSI standalone wiring harness (model HAR-1012) under dash wire bundle. The instructions from the PSI wiring harness kit say to connect the dark green wire (fan control relay ground #1) and the dark blue (fan control relay ground #2) to the customer supplied relay. The wire colors matched, so I assume they are correct. The only thing I can think of are that maybe the stock C100 wiring in the camaro do not go to ground on the relay. Or maybe the key on power to the relay is not working.

I'm using the stock 2001 truck computer with HPtuners and have my fans set to come on at 32 degrees and shut off at 28 degrees so I dont have to wait until for the car to get to operating temp for the fans to work.

If I jump the stock camaro relay with a wire the fans work. I also checked the stock Camaro relays and they work too. So the fans are not broken and the relays are good. Any input will helpful. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails 1997 Camaro LS 5.3 Swap Fans not working-photo-1.jpg   1997 Camaro LS 5.3 Swap Fans not working-valve-cover-breather.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you test signal output from the PCM at the relay?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

oldgoat69 - I don't have an OHM meter to check, but I can get one. I soldered the wires, so the connection should be good. You never know though, so ill get a meter and check.

I thought I read that the 2001 truck computer/harness never had a electric fan from the factory so it wouldn't be able to operate electric fans without without changing the pinouts. My aftermarket PSI harness has the wires added for two fans, is this all that's required for a 2001 silverado pcm or dI i need to do a segment swap to a different PCM?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

I figured out why my fans weren't working. There were two problems that I figured out with the shbox fan schematics and a post on hptuners website.

1.) The first problem i'm a little embarrassed to admit, but for the sake of helping others ill own up to it........I didn't realize that the fans had a damn 25amp fuze along with 3 relays. Of course the damn fuze was blown, so I replaced that but it still had another problem.

2.) The other problem is that the 2001 5.3 truck PCM was not set up for electric fans from the factory. I thought because I had an aftermarket wiring harness from PSI that everything would just wire up and work once I changed the tune using HPTuners. In hptuners I changed my fan set up from no fans to two fans by going to the system tap>fans tab>then just change your fan on/off temps to match your T-Stat. What I learned from an hptuners post is that for the truck PCM to control the second fan you also have to go to the system tab>then A/C tab>click on the recirc option drop down and change your setting from A/C Recirc to Fan #2. This will allow your PCM to control the second fan.

Hopefully this helps anyone using a 2001 5.3 truck PCM with Camaro electric fans.

Last edited by johnminer; 07-10-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good info here, thank you OP

Quick Reply: 1997 Camaro LS 5.3 Swap Fans not working