Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by scuba
Hey buddy ol pal....hows about posting some part numbers for the stuff you ordered im gearing up for a harness makeover myself! I sure would appreciate it !!
Sure thing. What exactly are you looking for. I've bought so much stuff, you have to be more specific :-)

Andrew
Old 12-12-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad to see you have focus and Patience!!!......(the box showed up today)

Ken
Old 12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Glad to see you have focus and Patience!!!......(the box showed up today)

Ken
Thanks Ken. I am in no hurry. Call me when you're ready to look at that package.

Andrew
Old 12-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Sure thing. What exactly are you looking for. I've bought so much stuff, you have to be more specific :-)

Andrew
Sorry yeah guess the " build list" would be pretty huge! I was interested in the pins,connectors, etc going into the harness connections. Thanks
Old 12-13-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Sorry yeah guess the " build list" would be pretty huge! I was interested in the pins,connectors, etc going into the harness connections. Thanks
Let me push you off the right cliff and if you have questions, just ask.

A vast majority of the engine harness connectors are Delphi GT150.

http://www.waytekwire.com/manf/45/DELPHI/&sc=27

If you plan to just modify the harness wires, you just need the terminals. If you want to add your own connectors in other places in the harness, you need both male and female housings and male and female terminals. You also need the cable seals (the little silicone collars that go on the terminal). The cable seals are color coded, but I just bought all sizes so that I have a supply.

The picture of the crimping tool has the part number (Waytek). Waytek also sells the little tool to release the terminals from the housings.

For my coil harness rewire, I opted to use the Delphi GT 280 connectors. IT's overkill for this application, but the GT 280 connectors have more substantial terminals.

http://www.waytekwire.com/manf/45/DELPHI/&sc=1504

The same crimping tool can be used on the GT 150 and the GT 280 terminals.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
Old 12-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Teching In

once again you are my hero dude!
Thanks again! Keep up the good work and posts
Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I decided to anchor the front portion of the engine harness in the back, under the intake. The Holley main harness is a nice piece, but all of the sensor connections were designed to be used with a stock style intake. Since I am using the Hi-Ram, I wanted to shorten the various sensor wires for a cleaner look.

I took all of the loom off the wires down to where they all come out of the main harness.

The only wires that need to come to the front are the cam and the coolant sensors, so all of these wires need to be shortened.

I used adhesive lined heat shrink to cover all of the individual sensors connections, the coil connections, and I sealed the injector harness connector.

Tomorrow I am going to build the coil harnesses and figure out a way to anchor the wires that need to come down the inside of the intake.

I also got myself a little Christmas present.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

So...this little wiring project is getting tedious, but the results are pretty good.

Here are the wires that go to the even side coils. I have them trimmed to length and the cable seals in place:

Next I stripped the wires about 1/4" to get ready for the terminals.

The terminals get crumpled on and the then cable insulators get clamped down. The crimper that I got does both of these operations.

I am using a 8 cavity housings, but there are only 7 wires. So one of the cavities gets a little cavity plug to keep moisture out.

Here is the finished connector with an extra layer of adhesive lined heat shrink.

The whole point of this project is to have the big coil connectors live discreetly under the intake.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looking great Andrew !!!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Andrew may I ask what the part number or application is on the water pump you are running?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1olds
Andrew may I ask what the part number or application is on the water pump you are running?
I got that pump used a long time ago, and I believe it is a LS2 Corvette pump.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looking great Andrew !!!
Thank you. However, I am not happy with what I have made for the coil harness, so stay tuned for more stuff...

Andrew
Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you using some sort of shrink tubing for the harness wrap? What type of heatshkink tubing? I probably missed it, but where did you get the adhesive lined heat shrink?

thanks,
Jim
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Are you using some sort of shrink tubing for the harness wrap? What type of heatshkink tubing? I probably missed it, but where did you get the adhesive lined heat shrink?

thanks,
Jim
Jim,

I am learning all kinds of things with this project, one of them being that there are dozens of different kind of heat shrink. It comes in all kinds of configurations, different shrink ratios, some is adhesive lined, so types are more flexible than others.

For professional motor-sport harnesses, the industry standard is Raychem DR-25. It is a mil-spec, adhesive lined, and super flexible. I have some on order.

The other stuff I got from McMaster-Carr. It is thin, adhesive lined, but is not very flexible.

Here is some wiring ****:

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 12-17-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am done with half of the injector harness.

Here is what I started with:

I wanted to run the injector harness through the Hi-Ram intake and shorten the wire runs so it looks neater.

I also labeled the connectors and covered the labels with clear heat shrink.

For reference, the injectors use a USCAR connector, which uses the 22-20 gauge Delphi GT 150 female terminals:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/30471...RMINAL-GT-150/

and the 4mm white cable seals:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/39024...TE-CABLE-SEAL/

Andrew
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The injector harness is done. Here is the overall view:

I loomed the individual injector leads into their own strands using an expanded loom. Then I labeled all of the injector connectors.

I am hoping that some of my other supplies get here from Prowire so that I can get working on the coil harnesses.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the link. I seen it before. I didn't think you used the RAYCHEM covering as it looked like some of yours was shrunk. I think***** DSE uses RAYCHEM and this is what I want to copy eventually.

Your progress and work looks great.
HAGD,
Jim
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

The detail shown in your thread is outstanding. Something I need to work on. I tend to pay more attention to detail on other peoples rigs that I work on, and rush too much on my own stuff. I can't wait to see your cougar on the road.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67cougar4.8T
The detail shown in your thread is outstanding. Something I need to work on. I tend to pay more attention to detail on other peoples rigs that I work on, and rush too much on my own stuff. I can't wait to see your cougar on the road.
Thank you. When I was younger I used to rush things, but as I've gotten older I take things slower and try to really pay attention to the details.

This car will never get w fancy paint job, or even any paint job. It kind of looks like a POS on the outside, but that's the point. My goal is that IG someone really starts to look at the mechanics of the car, they will realize that a lot of attention went into it.

Andrew
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I want to send out a big "Thank you" to my buddy Ken. He is a very cool car guy and has build several awesome rides, most recently a LSA powered Chevelle:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

Ken kindly made the offer to machine the blank Holley Hi-Ram top to accept the dual DBW throttle bodies. Today he sent me this:

I had no idea that he was going to actually model the top, but I can't wait to see the final product.

As I posted earlier, I wasn't happy with the way the coil harness was turning out. I scrapped that set-up and picked up some Deutch connectors:

The gray part will be attached to the Holley Dominator harness and will clip to a bracket that will get bolted down to one of the valley cover bolts. The 90 degree shell back will then point the wires up and they will branch off to the individual coils from there.

The Doutch connectors use pin and socket terminals. They make various kinds, but the rolled and stamped terminals can be use with the same crimping tool that I already have, which is why I chose them.

I also picked up some mil-spec, tin plated, extra thin insulation wire that will help to make the coil harness thin and pliable. I terminated the 16 wires that will ultimately branch off to the individual coils. The white plug is there to seal an unused cavity in the connector.

Temporarily assembled:

More updates tomorrow after I hopefully finish one of the coil harnesses.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)