Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Camaro lq4 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Camaro lq4 swap help

Putting a bone stock lq4 in my 73. I have everything for an efi set up except for a standalone harness. I have a harness but i dont think ill be able to make it stand alone on my own. i know theres a diagram on lt1swap but i think ill mess it up lol.

Im actually debating on carb or efi. Carb just seems so much easier and of course less expensive but efi is well, efi. Its perfect for daily driving which is what the car will be but all the money for tuning and parts snd more tuning is turning me away.

I just need motivation from other 2nd gen fbody owners to pitch in and show me the cost effective way to get it done for now. Than i can slowly upgrade as time goes on. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing an efi setup is pretty easy. Our harness is a plug n play deal only requiring a 12v activation wire, your old coil wire, and you're good to go. Are you also looking at doing the chassis harness as well? You should take a look at the manual for our harness. It's extremely detailed and over 150 pages long.

http://painlessperformance.com/webca...v.php?sl=20112
Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

By the time you buy all the parts to switch over to a carband replace the EFI parts you already have, the carb conversion wont be much cheaper. If its going to truly be a daily driver, I would stick with EFI. Just my $0.02
Old 08-25-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
By the time you buy all the parts to switch over to a carband replace the EFI parts you already have, the carb conversion wont be much cheaper. If its going to truly be a daily driver, I would stick with EFI. Just my $0.02
100% Agree.
If you get all the sensors, coils and PCM with the engine (or at least most of them) you're already ahead of the game. Simply add a high pressure fuel system and give it power.

For a carb application you need an intake, coil driver (MSD box), electric fuel pump, all eight coils and the same power requirements. I've done the math for people several times and the savings simply isn't there.

Last but not least, you can datalog the engine through the PCM and know what is happening, when it happens, why and determine what needs to be adjusted and fix it with a laptop.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well im pretty sure im going to stick with efi since i basically have everything. If i went carb i would sell all the efi stuff and harness to pay for it but im pretty sure i wont be able to use my harness i got with the motor. It looks mostly complete but im pretty sure some stuff has been cut, i havent really "looked" at it.

Im still needing a "done" harness, trans, headers, radiator and fuel pump to make it run.

The harness is my biggest issue right now and i dont have the money to buy a complete done harness online.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We make stand alone harnesses and can tune the computer for you! If you want more info and a price, shoot me a PM.

Quick Reply: 73 Camaro lq4 swap help