Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1959 Apache stepside truck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1959 Apache stepside truck.

I have had this itch for an old Chevy truck of some sort for a while now. I want a pro touring meets towmater kinda truck. That's ugly as farm truck but drives good and does big smoky burnouts and has a jamin sound system!
So I start a thing for the four eyed 58-59 Chevy trucks. It's kinda like that ugly chic with glasses that is kinda hot in a geeky sorta way lol.

I found this truck that I could not stop thinking about on good ol CL. I spoke to the guy a few times and he was high on the price. I waited to see if he come down after 4-5 months of being on there and he was still a little out of my range of what I wanted to pay.
If finally goes off cl and I get real nervous thinking someone bought it and I missed it over a few grand.
Turns out a buddy of mine picked it up along with two old Ford Econoline trucks. He wanted the Fords and wanted to sell the chevy to come out decent on the other two.
Just so happens he wanted a 24' inclosed trailer and I just happen to have one and no race car now.
It was a match made it heaven! I ended up getting this old beater.

So on with the truck..
1959 Apache 3100 2wd. Came with a straight 6 and a 4 speed out of Kansas. Truck made it's way to Texas at some point.
Now it has a early 80's 350/th350 power disc brakes up front and power steering. It runs good buts it's not a tire frying machine. Yet.

I have a 99 ls1 short block going to the machine shop with a set of 241 heads. I want to do a dual plane intake and carb with electric choke. I already have a MSD 6010 box and Kooks headers with 3" duals and x pipe. I also have a power master starter and a few other odd parts. It would be cheap to go this rout.
Or I could use a ls1 intake and stock rails I have and find a throttle body and a ecm/harness to go fi.

I cant decide to go FI or carb.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I totally get it...

Andrew
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

I quickly went to work on little things that make a big difference. I put a new lense and chrome bezel on the cluster and a new wood steering wheel adds to the truck.
All the chrome ***** are new. The truck is a standard and came with black ***** and no heater at all!
It will get a vintage air kit at some point.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Yes! There you go. lol.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Cool truck. I'm a big fan of the '55-59s. Sounds like a cool plan.

What part of Indiana are you from?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JRracing
Yes! There you go. lol.
If you want the ultimate in reliability, I would go with fuel injections. Sell that 6010 box and start looking around with used intake, injectors, and the other parts you will need. Stock parts are easily found for cheap...A beater truck should start at the turn of the key and be ready to drive cross country, just like a hot nerdy chick should be ready to blow on command and...well...you know...LOL

Andrew
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I love the old Apaches.
I really hope you're going to leave the paint as is.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowcpe
Cool truck. I'm a big fan of the '55-59s. Sounds like a cool plan.

What part of Indiana are you from?
Indy.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
If you want the ultimate in reliability, I would go with fuel injections. Sell that 6010 box and start looking around with used intake, injectors, and the other parts you will need. Stock parts are easily found for cheap...A beater truck should start at the turn of the key and be ready to drive cross country, just like a hot nerdy chick should be ready to blow on command and...well...you know...LOL

Andrew
I'm torn bad between it really. I have some parts for both setups. I will have to spend more to go fi but be really cool.
And the carb look will go ggod with the truck. Some are scared a carb can not be reliable or efficient but If setup right, a carb can be super reliable.

Imagine a ls1 deskized as an old 50's v8 by painting everything orange. Intake to pan. Put Holley plastic coil covers painted orange on it to hide the coils and make it look like a big block at a glance. Maybe Holley cast short headers. Paint all the ascy black and modify a 1958 chevy 4 brl air cleaner to fit over a nice 750 Holley carb or QFT.
I think making it look like its an old v8 would be neat.

Originally Posted by garys 68
I love the old Apaches.
I really hope you're going to leave the paint as is.
Yes, it just got painted last year. It's done on the outside other than wheels and maybe lowering it some.
I'm doing the engine bay and LS/700r4 swap and interior and custom sound system first.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

I have been burning up LMC for parts. All the seals and weather stripping is shot. And most of the glass on the doors are junk. I like clean clear glass lol.
I picked up:
Both door glass.
Both vent windows.
Vent window seals.
Door glass run channels.
Inner and outer belt moldings.
Door weather seals.
Rubber gromets in door jams.
Chome ***** on dash.
Cardboard glove box.
Bedside bolt kit.

Thats it for the last round of parts.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Indy.

I'm torn bad between it really. I have some parts for both setups. I will have to spend more to go fi but be really cool.
And the carb look will go ggod with the truck. Some are scared a carb can not be reliable or efficient but If setup right, a carb can be super reliable.

Imagine a ls1 deskized as an old 50's v8 by painting everything orange. Intake to pan. Put Holley plastic coil covers painted orange on it to hide the coils and make it look like a big block at a glance. Maybe Holley cast short headers. Paint all the ascy black and modify a 1958 chevy 4 brl air cleaner to fit over a nice 750 Holley carb or QFT.
I think making it look like its an old v8 would be neat.

You can have it fuel injected and still keep it old looking, it just takes a little more effort.

Andrew
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Check out Holley's '67 shop truck. I believe So Cal Speed Shop built it. Its using their EFI and coil covers. It looks very much like a stock big block.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool story and nice truck. Love the paint. Needs a lowering job and the LS powertrain and you'll have a nice street cruiser. Good luck on the build, keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GREAT PROJECT! I kept the stock manifold and factory EFI and intake even on my L92 / 6L80 install in my '51 Ford Pickup. I love it. More economical and reliable than a carb, in my opinion.

One day, I'l probably upgrade to a corvette style intake manifold and injectors to improve the aesthetic, but am happy for now.

Doug
Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my opinion but an LSx with a carb is like a smart phone with a rotary dial

Nice truck and good luck with the project!

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 08-26-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^agree 100%
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Um, yeah...
He can drive around in the truck talking on one of these.
http://www.rotarydialtelephones.com/...cell_phone.htm

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger

Tipsy
Old 08-26-2014, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You can have it fuel injected and still keep it old looking, it just takes a little more effort.

Andrew
I tell you what. I like the Holley terminator efi setup. It has a 4 brl tb with everything built in it. It has the ecm/harness and o2 sesor. The only draw back is the price. It's $2000. But would look really retro with an old air cleaner on it.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowcpe
Check out Holley's '67 shop truck. I believe So Cal Speed Shop built it. Its using their EFI and coil covers. It looks very much like a stock big block.
I have looked the truck over several times and plan on going over it again at the event. I hope to strike some serios deals on some parts for this swap.
Originally Posted by DEEDDUDE
Cool story and nice truck. Love the paint. Needs a lowering job and the LS powertrain and you'll have a nice street cruiser. Good luck on the build, keep us posted.
I will keep this thread up dated. I really want to lower it and put some 18-20" torque thrusts with gray centers and polished lips.

Originally Posted by DW SD
GREAT PROJECT! I kept the stock manifold and factory EFI and intake even on my L92 / 6L80 install in my '51 Ford Pickup. I love it. More economical and reliable than a carb, in my opinion.

One day, I'l probably upgrade to a corvette style intake manifold and injectors to improve the aesthetic, but am happy for now.

Doug
I kinda wanting the carb look with the efficency of fi.

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger

Tipsy
LOL, My buddy say the same thing.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Carbs can be reliable, but there are a few things to keep in mind. While it will always start pretty much and idle ok, temperatures still effect power and idle, with A/C its nice to have the idle up, but youll always know its a carb and have carb quirks. nothing wrong with that.

But with EFI you have consistency. It will also always start but it will always idle the same, it will never falter or be weird. A/C no A/C, cruise what ever you wanna throw at it. Period. The motor was designed with EFI, and its not a complicated setup. It can seem intimidating and it is more work, but in the end its worth it, no question. I would go EFI, anyone can slap a carb on something, anyone. But efi it and you have a driver thats so much more pleasant to drive. I agree with tipsy, its like a smart phone with a rotary dialer, its cool for a minute, but just becomes annoying after a while.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tell you what. I like the Holley terminator efi setup. It has a 4 brl tb with everything built in it. It has the ecm/harness and o2 sesor. The only draw back is the price. It's $2000. But would look really retro with an old air cleaner on it.
There are ways to overcome all that. You can use a carb style intake with fuel injector bungs. Most people won't ever notice them. For a throttle body you can mount a DBW TB where the carb goes and have a super stealthy "carb" look, but with the advantages of EFI.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1959 Apache stepside truck.