Sponsored by:

Vintage Air Drier Port Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Air Drier Port Sizes

Hey guys,

I'm working on figuring out a Vintage Air System as part of my LS1 into my '69 Camaro. I plan to use the LS1 PCM to run the compressor as has previously been done. Can anyone that has this particular system (or any kit that includes the 07321-VUC drier) tell me what the port thread size/pitch are on for the lines coming in and out of the drier as well as the switch port?

I'm trying to incorporate the GM pressure switch directly into a drier. I'm thinking I may swap out the drier for one that has a M10x1.25 switch port directly in it, but I'm struggling to figure out what size ports I need. I realize I could make custom lines, but I really like the idea of the custom bent hardlines that Vintage Air has in their kit. The Vintage Air manual says they are #6 in and out of the drier. What actual size is that? Are they 3/8" male o-ring by chance? I'm wondering if this drier could fit the bill. http://www.truckerac.com/receiver-dr...m-2314233.html

Secondly, there has been some mention of an adapter to use the Vintage air drier as included with the kit and adapt it to the M10 x 1.25mm switch port. Did anyone successfully do this? What specific adapter would I need? I'm wondering if this would be the correct one if I went this route.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=313545_0_0_

Thanks again for the help! You guys rock.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the input and output are #6 o-ring fittings, never heard them call 3/8 but that is what they are. That drier should work just fine, even if it was some crazy weird fittings you would just need to get the right hose ends for it.

That retrofit adapter should work as well but would add a lot of "height" to the install.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olsonk_89
Hey guys,

I'm working on figuring out a Vintage Air System as part of my LS1 into my '69 Camaro. I plan to use the LS1 PCM to run the compressor as has previously been done. Can anyone that has this particular system (or any kit that includes the 07321-VUC drier) tell me what the port thread size/pitch are on for the lines coming in and out of the drier as well as the switch port?

I'm trying to incorporate the GM pressure switch directly into a drier. I'm thinking I may swap out the drier for one that has a M10x1.25 switch port directly in it, but I'm struggling to figure out what size ports I need. I realize I could make custom lines, but I really like the idea of the custom bent hardlines that Vintage Air has in their kit. The Vintage Air manual says they are #6 in and out of the drier. What actual size is that? Are they 3/8" male o-ring by chance? I'm wondering if this drier could fit the bill. http://www.truckerac.com/receiver-dr...m-2314233.html

Secondly, there has been some mention of an adapter to use the Vintage air drier as included with the kit and adapt it to the M10 x 1.25mm switch port. Did anyone successfully do this? What specific adapter would I need? I'm wondering if this would be the correct one if I went this route.

olsonk 89,

The refrigerant lines are 3/8 i.d. commonly refered to as -6 for the for the 0-ring fittings on the drier. I believe the thread size for the fitting is 5/8-18. I suspect most, if not all aftermarket driers have the same threaded port sizes. I did what you are attempting to do. I mounted the GM pressure sensor to the drier port using a Goodridge adapter that needed slight modification. That said, your Autozone adapter (cudos for a great find; wish I knew about it when I did mine!) is exactly what you need. The (usually two) plugged ports on the drier are 3/8-24 internal thread, and with the Autozone adapter, you can mount the GM pressure sensor directly to it. I thought I had a photo of mine somewhere that I coud post, but no luck. Let me know, and I can take a photo.

Andy1
Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I'm going to attempt to order the autozone adapter since it seems like the simplest option. The bad thing it costs almost as much as a whole drier! I'll keep the boards posted.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm going to attempt to order the autozone adapter since it seems like the simplest option. The bad thing it costs almost as much as a whole drier! I'll keep the boards posted.
Yes, please keep us updated.
I had to special order a Goodridge adapter that had the proper threads on each end, then machine it to fit the GM pressure sensor, so at $24, the Autozone adapter seems well worth the money, IMO.

Andy1
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys,

the link to your AUTOZONE adapter is not working, do you have the part number? thanks

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Drier Port Sizes