Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally made the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made the plunge

Finally decided to make the LS swap in my 1971 ElCamino. Found a 2004 5.3 out of a truck. I didn't look to see if if it is cable or fly by wire throttle system.
I might have to get the pedal assembly also. Got the engine with all accessories and wiring harness for $750.00, the trans is available for $375.00.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages with using the truck belt drive system? This site is full of great info, I have been following some pretty cool builds and taking alot of notes! Looking forward to starting the project, would like to have it back on the road in the spring.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Swap

Just got done with a swap and here is what I have learned. First, get everything, wires, ECU, pedal, driveshaft...etc. I also like an automatic so the trans would go with it and an aftermarket harness really doesn't cost more for the trans control too. Besides, they work best as a team. Leave the belt drive alone (factory) at least for now because it cost lots of money for a fancy aftermarket system. You will run into problems while making the swap and it WILL cost more than estimated so save the bling for later. First thing to do is research, research and more research. Educate yourself to minimize suprises...they cost money!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Ya these big projects always have a way of costing alot more than you originally thought. By using parts from the donor truck should help keep some of the costs down, plus I can do alot of the work myself.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Truck accessory drive will work. Don't worry people will be more concerned on how you did the LS swap than why you used truck brackets.

Quick Reply: Finally made the plunge