Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Chevelle 6.0L lq4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 66fasty
Do you have a pic of the steering/oil pan clearance with the suspension loaded? I'm using the autokraft pan and Doug's plates with short and wide mounts with no cite rod clearance at all

I do not have a picture showing the car on the ground with the oil pan installed. As soon as I get it off the jack stands I will do that and post it. However, that probably won't be for soem time.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike from all I have read on the Por once the floor is scuffed your ready. Brush on with foam type brushes. Your done, never to see them again.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LanceL
Mike from all I have read on the Por once the floor is scuffed your ready. Brush on with foam type brushes. Your done, never to see them again.
I got it all scuffed up, and am going to degrease it this weekend. Hope to get it all down. I will post pictures when complete.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Got the POR15 on it. It actually was pretty easy to work with, and the smell is not anything awful. Kind of like painting with an oil base paint.

I bought my Dynamat Extreme and the roller today from eBay. Any suggestions on how to install?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
Got the POR15 on it. It actually was pretty easy to work with, and the smell is not anything awful. Kind of like painting with an oil base paint.

I bought my Dynamat Extreme and the roller today from eBay. Any suggestions on how to install?
Very nice. My suggestion on the Dynamat is to lay it out for an hour or so in the sun before you start. This way, it will be more pliable. Then use either a hairdryer or heat gun. Heat it up as you lay it down. You'll need more than just the roller to get it into the crevasses. It's pretty easy though.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Pretty easy to apply Dynamat for sure here are some pics from start to finish.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Launching!

I have a few things to do in regards to my next line items on the car. There is mounting the pedal and cabling system, mounting the shifter and the interior wiring project. However, before I can get to the wiring piece I would like to figure out the best route for me to go on my dash. I do have the original dash with gauges, which by the way does not have a tach.

So initially I was thinking about just buying some late model gauges from Auto Meter, and then pushing them into this dash. However, another anlternative that some members had me check out was Dakota Digital, and Classic Dash. They have the platic molded dashes with the gauges all ready to go. They sure are a bit expensive, but they have everything.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/da...model/chevelle

http://classicdash.com/product/1964-...er-5-gauges-2/

I am just wondering what other members think of these two companies and also what other alternatives might be out there for me to look at. Thanks guys
Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you a Home Brewer??? I see the mash paddle and the cleaning brushes.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4LUX
Are you a Home Brewer??? I see the mash paddle and the cleaning brushes.
No, just like doing a lot of crawfish boils.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Default Progress

Car is coming along nicely. We are starting on the American Autowire Classic Update this week. I also got in my Dakota Digital Gauges. Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Now I have a couple of rookie questions. I am running the Canton 15-274 oil pan. I am looking for a dipstick for the pan, and also a dipstick for the transmission. The transmission is a 4L80E.

I tried the junkyard route down here in Houston. That was not fruitful at all as all the LS stuff is not in the junkyards. They pull that right out before it ever hits the yards alot of the time.

I even called Canton, and they recommended I run a universal dipstick b/c there is no special opening in the pan for the stick. So now I am trying to figure out which stick to go with here. It seems so easy, but I just want to make sure I get the right one, for my setup.

I have seen people on here running Lokar with very mixed results, and I also would not like to spend over $50 on a dipstick and tube. Thanks any help is much appreciated.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's anything like my Autokraft pan, I used an F-body stick and tube. I think it was about $30 total.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Launching!

What about the transmission dipstick? What are people using for the 4L80E tube?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You can't alter your stock one to fit?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1964SS
You can't alter your stock one to fit?
I never got one when I got the motor, and transmission. I bought the motor/trans as is on a craigslist deal for 1k.

No dipsticks. I just bought the oil tube and dipstick for a 6L truck motor. Should I also get the trans tube and dipstick for the truck as well?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking good Mike, you will be driving in no time...

T,
Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TomM
Looking good Mike, you will be driving in no time...

T,
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that, especially from someone with as much seasoning as you at this game. I sent you a quick PM as well btw.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Do your inner tie rods clear the oil pan when turning lock to lock? You are making great progress, Keep it up.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Do your inner tie rods clear the oil pan when turning lock to lock? You are making great progress, Keep it up.
We have not gotten the alignment done yet, but the tie rods do not clear lock to lock. However, I can get about 3/4 of the way left and right. I think we should be ok with that kind of ratio. We tried to keep the motor and trans just as low as possible. Even then it was tough to get the long tube headers to fit under the car.

The one thing that might help the header clearance a bit is that we will be doing a full body mount replacement later this month, with all Energy Suspension mounts.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
We have not gotten the alignment done yet, but the tie rods do not clear lock to lock. However, I can get about 3/4 of the way left and right. I think we should be ok with that kind of ratio. We tried to keep the motor and trans just as low as possible. Even then it was tough to get the long tube headers to fit under the car.

The one thing that might help the header clearance a bit is that we will be doing a full body mount replacement later this month, with all Energy Suspension mounts.
Can you clearance the pan a little? How much clearance does it need? You will miss that turn radius the first U turn you attempt. The body mounts will do nothing for clearance.

Quick Reply: 1965 Chevelle 6.0L lq4 Build