Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e38 old p/n vs new p/n?? whats the diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e38 old p/n vs new p/n?? whats the diff

hey all going to need ALOT of help... have been wanting to put a ls/turbo ls combo in something.My dads 68 fastback that he left to me has a super tired 302 and I know nothing of ford sooo good candidate for a swap! I have recently picked up a low miles 2007 sliverado ly6 and 6l90 combo. it is complete(tb,harness,pan manifolds,etc, minus pcm and gas pedal.

I plan on using everything I can from this setup with the exception of an ls3 intake(stil need to get). since I am a nube, i figured i would start with motor and tranny combo and "learn" and then do turbo set up following season. Run before you can walk so to say.

Starter question is what pcm(s) am I restricted to?? I have tried to research and find this out without asking because it feels like a super nube question but cant find the answer. there appear to be 2 differnt part number e38s (not to mention an e67?) new style is p/n12633238 (2010ish camaro) old style p/n 12597121

anyhow can i use a newer style e38 or am i restricted to what came with my set up? second part if i use the newer model do I use the newer version os?

Ive read one post that says a new pcm with old os will "fry" pcm, but nothing beyond that???

Greatly appreciate any and all help/comments
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to get the PCM that was used on the 2007 Silverado. The later PCMs will most likely lock up on you or cause weird problems. Make sure you get one programmed for your truck. There are more than two E38 PCMs out there with all the revisions. So maybe visit a Chevrolet dealer or talk to someone who knows. My mind is a blank for the moment of the one person I am trying to think of.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Teching In

first off thank you so much for the incite. Wow!, I had no idea there could be multiple pcms???

Got ahold of the guy i got the motor from to find out more info/exaclty what I need to get... turns out he still has the orig pcm and gas pedal!!! motor was supposed to be complete pullout!!!! wants another $200 for parts...chalk up to experience i guess.

Is there anything else i will need/should ask for from the donor truck you guys can think of? Before I have to set up shipping or meet the guy ya know?

Thanks again
Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Wiring harness? O2 sensors? Fuse/relay box? I would get as much as posible including the PCM and throttle pedal. It's a shame he is not including it all as a package.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 11-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Teching In

thanks man! I got ahold of the guy last night and he met me with the parts, even the extra ones you suggested that I didnt have. cost me 3 bills, but at least i wont sweat about this part of my build.

Hopefully someday I can help somebody out as you did me!!! cheers and thanks again
Old 11-15-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

That is good news. You should be good to go.

Quick Reply: e38 old p/n vs new p/n?? whats the diff