Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Camaro lq9 build. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Camaro lq9 build. Please help

I have read and read posts and still find myself scared to make the jump. I'll take all the help I can get. Books, threads and calls. I've never done a ls of any kind nor have I ever messed around with efi and sensors.

I have a fully restored 68 Camaro with currie 9 in and use a painless harness to wire the car now it's time for me to take the leap and pick my motor tranny set up. I'm looking for 500-550 hp but more importantly reliability.

I picked up a lq9 from a 04 escalade that had 114,000 miles on it. Got intake to oil pan but not harness, ecu, or pedal (not sure if it matters. And no front assemblies. I've gotten all types of advice but all different. Some say I need to use the block, crank and pistons and build it back as a ls3 using 04 car water pump, brackets and front assemblies. With ls3 manifold, heads, harness and pedal. Others have told me I do the same but use ls6 manifold, heads, harness and pedal. Then others say go aftermarket with fast parts. I don't care to go that route because after everything else I'm trying to do these on a somewhat budget. And at 2,000 or so for the ecu, harness and manifold just to have the wow factor it's not worth it to me.

Plus like I said I have no experience building anything with sensors and efi so I just need some help. I'd like to do this right the first time without the costly mistakes that I've read about. I will also more than likely be going with a 4l60 or 60e but would take advice on that too.

Also any shops that you would recommend for picking up brackets or parts like the upper end. I am willing to spring for sit-ups that will make the implant easier but need to be reasonable on price. Will be a daily driver and not into all the chrome and stuff
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am doing the same thing although I started with a 4th Gen F-body LS-1. Take a look at my thread and also some of the other 1st gen F body threads for ideas. For ECU and harness, I am using PSI and they are pretty complete and have decent reviews on this site.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Teching In

I am still a little new to the ls and am oing my hoomework to start a swap this spring( I hope), search, read, repeat... seriously Is your best friend. budget minded individuals like myself end up doing things our selves. If you can get a factory harness usually in the 150-200$ range and send it out for a stand alone treatment its gonna rack you another 200-500$, If you look for the pinout /wiring diagrams for your combo you can save there, an ecu is another $100 plus, and then you either need to have it sent out and programmed or buy a system such as hp tuner pricy at500 and up. check out sloppy mechanic wiki. he has tons of usefull info including prices sites, coomparisons, etc and combos he and freinds have tried...

It can get extremely costly if you just start buying parts, so do ALOT of homework first, figure out your goal(s) and then spend the dough!! Good luck
Old 11-25-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im working on swapping a L33 5.3 into my 76 skylark. I just heard it run for first time today. Easiest way to follow thru is do 1 system at a time. Motor tranny mounting easiest part, the electrical harder but not real bad. I used the truck harness(2006 DBW) tore apart myself relocating computor to inside car. LT1 swap.com great info on wiring. He also programmed my pcm with a good street tune for $75.00. Try to get everything from same year of donor its easier than mismatch stuff. Yard I got my motor from gave me 2005 pedal tach box stuff so LT1 programmed my pcm as a 2005 to eliminate any problems. For fuel pump I modified a new replacement tank to accept 06 silverado pump assembly. It was cheaper buying new stock tank and a new siverado pump assembly as pump was $50 brand new. Tank $123, $10 for sheetmetal stock to box in for pump. $183 total for working tank. This way if pump assembly pukes out just get a new 1 any parts store anywhere your at.

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro lq9 build. Please help