Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing shifter from moving from Park?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Preventing shifter from moving from Park?

'69 Camaro, factory horseshoe shifter, 4L65e trans.

I have the old factory linkage that connected between the base of the steering column and to the trans gear selector bracket, but I never put them back in since I took the car apart many years ago.
I haven't tried to hook them back up to see if they clear everything since the LS went in. I'm sure the linkage assembly won't clear something or even fit now.
I can put the car in gear at any time and make it roll.

Am I doomed to have a "free" shifter?
How do I prevent the shifter from moving unless the key is in and the steering column is unlocked? I hate the thought of carrying 'The Club' around all the time.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; 01-20-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It can't just be bumped into neutral on accident can it? As long as it requires a dual action to dis-engage like squeeze and push/pull your fine. It's no different then any manual trans car. Just lock it up.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

You could always make a locking pin for your shifter. Use a spring loaded pin on a solenoid that's connected to a micro switch that is powered with key on. When you pull up on the shifter handle it activates the switch and releases the pin to move out of park. Someone has to make a kit like that.

Spring DC 12V 0.57A 6mm Stroke 52GF Force Pull Type Solenoid Electromagnet: Electronic Component Solenoids: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Spring DC 12V 0.57A 6mm Stroke 52GF Force Pull Type Solenoid Electromagnet: Electronic Component Solenoids: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited by lsxRanger94; 01-20-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

The solenoid idea would probably work if it could be made sturdy enough.

I'm most concerned with security, as well as safety.
I don't want someone to be able to jump in, take it out of Park and let it roll free. Locking the shifter in Park until I want it to move is what I'm looking for.
How are people who do swaps getting this feature? A different shifter?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It may take a little modification, but I would put the steering column linkage back on it. I have it hooked up in my Nova and it works. Its just twice the work because it's twice the linkage, but it was worth it to me not to have the car roll away because the shifter wasnt put all the way in park. You cant turn the lock far enough to get the key out without it in park.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Thanks...
Even if I have to do some welding and fab to the rods, I guess that's the best thing to do.

How does it work in modern cars\trucks? Is it mechanical or electrical, or both depending?
It'd be cool if I could duplicate the "Foot on Brake Before Shifting Out Of Park" setup.

Quick Reply: Preventing shifter from moving from Park?