Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using OEM Chevy truck pump in swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using OEM Chevy truck pump in swap

I purchased an entire wrecked truck to use in my swap. I know I need to upgrade my fuel pump and was planning to use a wahlbro pump. The wrecked truck I have has all the OEM fuel system.

Is it possible to pull the Chevy sending unit and remove the fuel pump and install it into my Dodge sending unit?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to provide more information..

Like what year and engine is the wrecked truck. Are you doing any mods to the engine.

If the engine and pump where from the wreck and going in to your Dodge.. yeah.. most likely the pump will be fine.

But wouldn't hurt to upgrade... but an upgrade might be overkill if the engine is stock.

Just a few thoughts...
Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Wrecked truck is a 1999 1500 with a 5.3. Engine was rebuilt, bored .040 and flat top Pistons installed. Stock cam, stock heads, truck manifolds, Ls1 intake...it's what I would call pretty stock. Might get a cam and converter down the road. Again, I am under the impression a stock fuel pump is capable of supporting those mods.

Theoretically I can just steal the actual fuel pump from the Chevy fuel pump assembly and install it on my Dodge fuel pump assembly.....correct?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. I don't think you will have any problem with the exception of fitment of the pump to the Dodge assemble.. but if that goes together well.. you done !

keep us posted on the build..

BC
Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Theoretically, the Chevy pump would work fine in the Dodge unit provided that the housing can be modified to fit. The one thing that I was curious was if your Dodge pump is an EFI fuel pump. If it is, it's likely that the existing pump will produce enough pressure and volume to run the LS. Everything that I've found says that the pump usually runs 50+ psi, and is regulated at the rail by a fuel pressure regulator. Since you're swapping the old motor out, you could just run a Corvette/S-10 fuel pressure regulator, and you should be able to achieve enough pressure and volume to run the LS w/ your Dodge pump.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Envy
Theoretically, the Chevy pump would work fine in the Dodge unit provided that the housing can be modified to fit. The one thing that I was curious was if your Dodge pump is an EFI fuel pump. If it is, it's likely that the existing pump will produce enough pressure and volume to run the LS. Everything that I've found says that the pump usually runs 50+ psi, and is regulated at the rail by a fuel pressure regulator. Since you're swapping the old motor out, you could just run a Corvette/S-10 fuel pressure regulator, and you should be able to achieve enough pressure and volume to run the LS w/ your Dodge pump.
All is true above and I have the corvette regulator sitting on the shelf. From what I've read in the only other swap I've come across involving the same gen dakota I'm working on is that the stock dodge pump has enough to start the engine and let it idle but not enough to sustain anything more.

Quick Reply: Using OEM Chevy truck pump in swap