Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contour/Windstar Fans question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contour/Windstar Fans question

So, I just picked up the fans from a 99 contour yesterday to put on my 66 Biscayne swap. They fit perfectly on the aluminum radiator, like they were designed for it.

I'm using CurrentPerformance's fuse/relay block with my self-modified harness. http://www.currentperformance.com/sh...erelay-module/

The original Ford wiring to the fans looks like its something like 10 gauge (could be 12, I'm terrible at guessing stranded wire size...used to the solid residential stuff), while the wiring coming from the Current Performance block is at least one size smaller. Could be 12 or 14. The ground Ford fan to the fans was about the same size as the CP wiring, although that just a short run.

Its my understanding that these fans were wired together, in a two speed setup. I plan on running them separately, each triggered by the PCM and the two separate relays in the CP block.

My initial plan is to mount the block under the dash.

My question is...what gauge to should the wire to the fans be, if they're each being run separately to the 30amp relays (and is the CP wiring too small regardless of the length of run)? There will be a decent length run involved here, from under the dash by the glove box to the radiator.

Or, is that a bad idea? I've always tried to mount relays as close to the power source & draw as possible, but am not sure if I should mount the relay/fuse block under the hood- its not sealed at all (see images in link), so it wouldn't be waterproof or corrosion resistant. Would it be a bad idea to mount the block under the hood, or does anyone know of a box or something similar that it could be mounted it? I tried searching for one, but didn't come up with anything.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use this to make those (sizing) determinations. You don't want to lose too much voltage (I'd say less than 2% to 5% is reasonable).
http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

If you can hide the relays nearby to the fan, that's ideal then you just route one large feed wire from the alternator (perhaps) to the relays and then small wires to trigger. I use a small mini-relay and fuse box (check out bussman) to power the fans (and headlights), so I don't have to make such a long run from the cab.

My 16" SPAL fan draws 23 amps when running and a bit more upon initial startup.

Doug
Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one of these mounted on the side of my frame rail:
COOPER BUSSMANN - 15303-4-0-4 - FUSE RELAY BLOCK, MINI, REAR TERMINAL: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific COOPER BUSSMANN - 15303-4-0-4 - FUSE RELAY BLOCK, MINI, REAR TERMINAL: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
There is a guy on the toyota land cruiser forums who wires them up very nicely for a reasonable price. They come loaded with mini-relays and fuses.

Quick Reply: Contour/Windstar Fans question