Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM/DOD Delete Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AFM/DOD Delete Oil Pump?

I am removing AFM from my LH6. From what I understand the factory oil pump is a high volume unit to keep up when the lifters bleed off. What oil pump should I run? I am going to buy new regardless, just for piece of mind.

Those of you who have eliminated AFM/DOD, what did you do for an oil pump?

Mike
Old 02-12-2015, 03:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

If you insist on buying a new pump the standard non DOD pumps are more than adequate. If your buying a “new” pump from an autoparts store, your basically trading your pump in for one that’s had the oil cleaned out of it and may be in worse shape than yours clearance wise.

IMO, no reason to replace a factory oil pump unless you’re planning on running over 6500rpm for extended periods of time. Factory pumps are great and will outlast the engine many times over if taken care of. Pop it apart make sure it looks good and tolerances are in spec. Then run it. 95% of the builds I see on here do not need an aftermarket pump.
With the removed AFM/DOD I saw what I consider excessive oil pressure with my pump. I clipped 2 links off the pressure relief spring to keep pressures down to what I considered acceptable. Without doing this I buried my 80psi oil pressure gauge around 4500. Also believe I was pumping the pan dry as I’d lose oil pressure on hard launches (drag car). After clipping the spring and running 2qts overfull with the Improved Performance baffle (Fbody pan) it fixed the issue.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

I have an LH6. took out my lifters, and swapped to a 6.2 valley cover.

I didn't change my pump. I ran it for 500 miles with no excessive issues? But I did have some other issues. and I ended up installing a melling, for fear of bearing material going through it when I had the short block reassembled.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by static low 92
I have an LH6. took out my lifters, and swapped to a 6.2 valley cover.

I didn't change my pump. I ran it for 500 miles with no excessive issues? But I did have some other issues. and I ended up installing a melling, for fear of bearing material going through it when I had the short block reassembled.
what melling pump did you end up using?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
If you insist on buying a new pump the standard non DOD pumps are more than adequate. If your buying a “new” pump from an autoparts store, your basically trading your pump in for one that’s had the oil cleaned out of it and may be in worse shape than yours clearance wise.

IMO, no reason to replace a factory oil pump unless you’re planning on running over 6500rpm for extended periods of time. Factory pumps are great and will outlast the engine many times over if taken care of. Pop it apart make sure it looks good and tolerances are in spec. Then run it. 95% of the builds I see on here do not need an aftermarket pump.
With the removed AFM/DOD I saw what I consider excessive oil pressure with my pump. I clipped 2 links off the pressure relief spring to keep pressures down to what I considered acceptable. Without doing this I buried my 80psi oil pressure gauge around 4500. Also believe I was pumping the pan dry as I’d lose oil pressure on hard launches (drag car). After clipping the spring and running 2qts overfull with the Improved Performance baffle (Fbody pan) it fixed the issue.
I wasn't sure about this so I bought an LS6 pump tonput in my LH6. I figure for $75 I'd get it just in case.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock replacement NON-DOD is just fine. GM or melling is my vote.

Quick Reply: AFM/DOD Delete Oil Pump?