Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbbed 4.8 turned 5.3 into frankenstein 38 Chevy 4x4 truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbbed 4.8 turned 5.3 into frankenstein 38 Chevy 4x4 truck

Just wanted to share these videos of my cousins Frankenstein build...

I started collecting parts for this engine and building it about 6-7 years ago. I sold it to my cousin 5 years ago when I was moving out of state. It's too cool not to show.

Engine started life as a 2003 Silverado 4.8 w/104k miles on it. I got a smokin deal on a reman 5.3 crank off ebay, found a set of 5.3 rods on here. Had the 4.8 pistons put on the 5.3 rods and had the rotating assembly balanced. Assembled it with new bearings and rings. Installed the 02-04 LS6 cam. I was originally building this engine for my 68 Chevelle. This is when it changed hands to my cousin.

I couldn't talk him into going with fuel injection so he bought the Edelbrock #7118 carb manifold & timing controller kit and finished assembling it.

He's taken an old 38 Chevy pickup body that's been sitting around my uncles for 20-30 years and put it on a late 70's Chevy 4x4 long bed frame and running gear, shortened the frame. Not sure what front, rear or transfer case it has, but the engine is mated to an old SM465 4 speed, and it's got a PTO winch on the front. It will get a flat bed, and have an electric winch in the rear. It has 35" tires on it right now just so it can get in the garage, but will end up with 38s on it.

Made his own engine mounts, and no clearance issues with the truck pan as he can pretty much do whatever he wants with no space issues to think about.

Anyway, finally got it running this past weekend here are a couple videos.

I don't really condone of doing this one

No exhaust currently, just straight out of the manifolds. Idle is probably a little low, but it sounds bad *** for just a bunch of OE crap thrown together.

Don't expect a lot of updates on this, but I will post some more pictures and maybe some vids once it is drivable. I can only answer questions on the engine, but not much about the actual "swap" and mounting. Just thought you guys would find it entertaining.

Last edited by RacnJsn95; 07-27-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Making some decent progress on my cousins 38. New 140 amp alternator, replaced the idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley. Ended up using the G8 GT exhaust manifolds off my donor engine for my Chevelle as they cleared all the stuff he had going on with the clutch linkage BS. Pedals are in, clutch linkage works. He fabricated up his own exhaust, and threw a pair of flowmaster knock off mufflers on it.

Gauge panel may end up being remade, but it's in and gauges are wired up, minus the original speedometer.

It's looking like I have to make him a "custom" thermostat housing. All of the housings I'm finding point to the passenger side which isn't going to work for his radiator... Is there an off the shelf one that comes out straight that will miss the belt?

Just need to finish up the brakes, and get the coolant system taken care of and we'll be driving this thing in no time.
Attached Thumbnails Carbbed 4.8 turned 5.3 into frankenstein 38 Chevy 4x4 truck-img_3723.jpg   Carbbed 4.8 turned 5.3 into frankenstein 38 Chevy 4x4 truck-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Launching!

First drive in the yard. Power steering not hooked up yet, and no brakes. New 38" tires installed...

Quick Reply: Carbbed 4.8 turned 5.3 into frankenstein 38 Chevy 4x4 truck