Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan modifying for GM "X" frame cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan modifying for GM "X" frame cars.

I just got the modified GM "engine swap" pan in my '63 Riviera project. The car has a 5.3 Vortec, I'd gotten the swap pan to replace the very deep sump truck pan, but it was still an inch lower than the crossmember. So...

I sectioned the truck pan almost 3", modified the original pickup tube and put the whole thing back together. This looked great, until I tried to put the steering center link in, which I'd modified to clear the swap pan, with it's shorter, shallower sump. It didn't clear the pan. So...

Pulled the engine and trans back out, and sectioned the swap pan an inch in front, tapered to zero (well, the kerf from the cut-off wheel) in back. My fabricator buddy TIG welded it back together for me, and today I swapped it back onto the engine and got it back in the car. Fits perfectly, it's no longer the lowest part of the chassis, and even better, the steering now fits! Success.

I know this is a problem in these cars, a friend just bought a beautiful '61 Bubbletop with a 6.0, and the stock (truck) oil pan is less than 4" off the pavement at stock ride height. Sectioning the swap pan was easy, they're cheap, and if it works in my Riviera, it'll work in lots of these early 60's cars with low hoodlines using the Vortec intakes.
Attached Thumbnails Oil pan modifying for GM "X" frame cars.-imageuploadedbyh..m.b.1428593698.369832.jpg   Oil pan modifying for GM "X" frame cars.-img_4713.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes pan a problem even on my 76 skylark. I have clamshell sbc mounts with adapter plates & still had to put 3/8 thick spacer plates under frame mount. steering tie rod(inner pass side) hit oil pan. It also hangs low same as you found. I plan on pulling back out to paint engine up & cut pan up same as you. Gm shouldnt advertise as having a swap pan as far as Im concerned it dont fit most cars.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Default Riviera ls swap

I would like to know how this is going as I am considering this swap in the future
Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not the holley 302-2 pan? Problem with shortening the truck pan is getting the pick up just right. Some people go to start car no oil pressure. I'm not saying it can't be done, just difficult
Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Im having the same problem with this in my 68 nova.. im knfa stuck because i want to get the driveshaft n headers hooked up but i need to raise the block... smh

Quick Reply: Oil pan modifying for GM "X" frame cars.